Rehoming a late 80s Raleigh Magnum!

averagebiker

Retro Guru
This is the latest orphan bike to follow me home for a bit of TLC 😁
Work may not start for a few days as I have probably wrecked myself picking it up without using a crane 😉
Only kidding, if i hadn't had a few jobs to do before it got dark I reckon I would have had her ready to ride to the station tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_191025361.jpg
    IMG_20220821_191025361.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 32
As this is a bike to get me to/from the station (a 3 mile round trip) my intention is to do the minimum to it at minimal cost. I will be approaching it as if I were a novice bike fettler given a bike to use to save money. As such I will be limiting myself to what a reasonably handy person could do with standard home tools, a puncture repair kit and pump, and online tutorials.
So far I have adjusted the saddle and raised the stem. This required a new brake cable as it was very short. As it was very rusty too it was a no brainer to replace it anyway lol.
Oh yeah, I oiled the dry chain with household/diy oil...... don't shoot me🤣
Last thing to do before using it to get to the station is to change the rear tyre which has major cracks and could give way at any point!

So by way of an update.....
So far the bike owes me......well nothing really. I still haven't replaced the rear tyre. The only used parts I have added were the front brake cable and an inner tube (both of which I had knocking around so were in effect free).
In fact I owe the bike quite a bit as every day I have used it it has saved £3.60 in bus fares. Plus it is always there in the bike racks when I get off the train, unlike several nicer newer bikes a week that get nicked! It is living up to my hope that it is too sh*t to steal!
Now if I am being honest, for anything other than a short, slow flat trip to the station and back it is a death trap as the braking leaves a lot to be desired and that rear tyre surely can't last much longer!?
Anyway I hope to give her a rest and a proper fettle soon as I have some parts coming for another Raleigh project bike that will then become my station bike for a while.

Back