Recycled Carrera

Re:

Weigh in on creaky spring balance this evening . 13kg (28.6lb in old money). It was a whopping 15.7kg in standard spec. The Top of the Carrera range Fury was 13.1kg for this models year so I don't think I can improve much on this weight. Happy with this though 2.7kg is a lot not to be dragging around!

Re:

Change of brake to Shimano m396. Much better. Maybe need to shorten the front hose by an inch or two. I think it is finished now..maybe...at least for a bit.

Re:

Not done much with this, riding or fettling, whilst it has been dark and wet! I have been hoarding some "repurposable" bits to try though.....

M592 Deore Shadow type derailleur- definitely going on, maybe staying on, they are odd looking things :shock:
XT m770 42t ring if it stays 3x9 this will replace the Blackspire 44t
M615 Deore 2x front mech may try a 2x9
Truvativ long pin 38t and 36t 2x rings and and m770 XT 38t ring and a sram 24t inner.
Sram single ring bolts.

Not sure which way to jump really with the 2x/3x so will pobably fit the Shadow mech and lose the 44t outer initially as I am not nuts about the overstated white writing on the Blackspire rings and I don't need a 44. Still have to find a more subtle 32t one though as the only other one I have is bit worn (or try to lose the lettering).

Re:

The 2x-3x question has been closed, decided to stay 3x. Kind of swayed by ishaws nice Raceface rings....

...which look nice on m752 XT cranks, popped a new SRAM 24t inner on that was hanging around though.

Have fitted the Deore Shadow rear mech, being of uncertain heritage so I am not certain it is all straight though...more road testing will tell.

(I have no idea whether anyone is interested in this - but it is knd of nice to keep a project documented even if it only for yourself!!! :D )

Attachments

• WP_20160325_16_02_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160325_16_02_54_Pro.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,116
if you can find a 29T or a 27T to replace the 32/22 go for the 2x9 setup. I have 42/29 on my modern GT and for the south downs I find it just about spot on

Re:

I hadn't thought of that combination. I didn't fancy 38/24 or 36/24. I have 50/34 (13-26 8sp) on one road bike wich I am not mad about and 52/39 (12-30 7sp) on the other which I find a better jump between rings. 42/29 (11-30 9sp) would be a lower equivalent (and I won't need to swap frount derailleurs either)

I thought I had finished this.

The Shadow mech seems to be ok, a very nice smooth/quiet shift so thats staying.

Re:

I like those chainrings they look nice do you have a full side on shot?
I have a deore shadow mech i like it i tried 1x9 but i went back 3x9

Kyle

Back