Recovering a saddle with leather - my first try!

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've been wanting to re-cover a saddle for a while after seeing some threads on here where people have done a good job on Flite Ti seats.

However I've never managed to find anywhere to buy the leather. Plenty online but I wanted to see it before I bought it. I was on holiday in Wales and found a fabric shop that had LOADS of off-cuts so I grabbed 3 different ones to use.

(The pink one is actually red in real life).

I was going to try and find an old Flite to re-cover but the SDG saddle I have on my modern bike was looking very tatty. The new Bel-Air is chunkier than this version and I don't like the look of it so why not try to revive this one? I will be trying on a more valuable Flite at a later date but this is good practice.

So take off the plastic trim pieces.

Next pull out the staples and peel the cover off.

Et Voila!

Next job is to clean everything up. The foam is missing a couple of bits which came away with the cover but I think I can stick them back on.

So the final stage starts.

Apply the glue.

Spread it around.

Top stuck on reasonably well and even.

Start to apply glue to the leather which tucks underneath and to the saddle shell.

I am now quite high by this point from the glue fumes and really enjoying myself! ;-)

Stick the bits underneath and hold with bulldog clips.

All done!!! Well pleased with it as my first try. Could probably get it perfect next time.

This side not quite so good but still pleased with it.

Top looks good - slightly lumpy bits are where I repaired the foam but they look worse in photos than in real life.

Underneath looks good. One slight bit where I trimmed leather a bit short but you can't see it from the top and it shouldn't be a problem.

Next job will be a retro Flite or similar... Watch this space.

That is really nice! 'I' just did my old Flite.

Well TBH somebody else did. A second hand leather jacket costed me EUR40 and a professional upholstery (Don't know the exact English word) charged me EUR20! I gave my Flite to him..

Nice job rob...........that's going to spur me on to try it too........I'm impressed mate........

One of the guys at work's dad & brother are upholsterers. You've just given me a brilliant idea for a solution to a problem I had! :D

Great work.

My Dad has a classic car and he re-upholstered his centre console using a leather handbag he got in a charity shop for next to nothing (good source of quality leather !).

Well impressed – nice choice of antique look leather too. Am amazed how new the saddle appears now, cleaned up and reupholstered. :cool: Good effort. Inspired to finish my Vetta refurb now.

Top job Rob ,
Threads like this take customising a complete bike to another level

Mike

I won't put a pic of the bike it's going on as it's a modern bike but it's a Specialized Pitch Pro in brown with gold ano bits.

Back