Recommend an urban tyre?

setspeed

Retro Guru
I'm looking for lightweight urban tyres.

1. Under 600g, the closer to 500g the better.
2. Fast rolling on road. Will barely ever be taken off road if at all.
3. Would love tan sidewalls but don't mind black if the tyre has the right characteristics otherwise - BUT I "do not* want Billy Bonkers which have a huge sidewall that I think looks ugly, especially with the huge writing on the side.
4. 1.95-2.1" width - the bike has very limited clearance between the chainstays.

What can you suggest?

Folding continental travel contact....very good on road and suprisingly good on gravel too. Excellent puncture resistance. Plus not all black as they have a kinda rust colour side wall.

Cheap at sjc at the moment too.

Folding continental travel contact....very good on road and suprisingly good on gravel too. Excellent puncture resistance. Plus not all black as they have a kinda rust colour side wall.

Cheap at sjc at the moment too.

That is a really good deal! Ideally I'm looking for slightly wider/bigger volume tyres as I'm a heavy clumsy dolt who likes the odd bunnyhop off of a kerb. But this fits the bill in every other way, so it's a good option.
Looking at the Conti website it seems they do make a 2.0" version, but only wire beaded not folding, and they clock in at 760g, which is considerably more than my current tyres ☹️ (Maxxis Rendez 2.1 525g, Maxxis Crossmark 1.95 560g)

At 1.75" these might be a bit narrow for you but I find them great for the pot holed roads in my area and they are also ok for some light off road

At 1.75" these might be a bit narrow for you but I find them great for the pot holed roads in my area and they are also ok for some light off road

Agree these are a very good tyre!

I have ridden them on light gravel tracks also and they are fine.

The tan sidewall looks good too.

Schwalbe Kojak? 460g
Not tan wall though, they'll definitely be fast.

Hmmm, light AND urban? Not sure that's a great combination if you ride glass-strewn streets.

Schwalbe HS368 Marathon Greenguard have worked very well for me. In 3000 miles I've never had a puncture and while they are on the heavier side, the rolling resistance is very low (see bicyclerollingresistance.com) so they are pretty fast (I've ridden 75 mile days on a loaded tourer with them).

Possibly my view of urban tyre requirements is skewed by the experience of fixing a puncture caused by a discarded hypodermic while being propositioned by an enthusiastic prostitute.

Hmmm, light AND urban? Not sure that's a great combination if you ride glass-strewn streets.

Schwalbe HS368 Marathon Greenguard have worked very well for me. In 3000 miles I've never had a puncture and while they are on the heavier side, the rolling resistance is very low (see bicyclerollingresistance.com) so they are pretty fast (I've ridden 75 mile days on a loaded tourer with them).

Possibly my view of urban tyre requirements is skewed by the experience of fixing a puncture caused by a discarded hypodermic while being propositioned by an enthusiastic prostitute.
Agreed, I don't do a lot of urban riding but when I do on some of my skinnier tyred bikes I prefer a heavier puncture resistant tyre. I used to ride these really light, skinny panaracer ones and I had punctures consistently

Michelin Protek - 1.4 or 1.85 width, reflective sidewall for safety, thick cap for thorn protection, good wet weather grip, <70 PSI for low rolling resistance

Back