Recommend a Laptop (Deal)

makster":3f29fjzt said:
Cant beat IBM for laptops, imo. I bought a refurb Thinkpad from this lot and have been well pleased with it.... http://www.tier1online.com/Items/Item.a ... s%20laptop

Proper business machines, unlike the plastic rubbish you get from dell etc ;)

main issue with IBM is the cost of replacment parts I have a Lenovo (IBM) Thinkcenter tower i am looking at for a customer and the replacment board for said tower is £206

If youre starting a business why not contact Dell business as they can usually do a good basic machine with top notch support at business rates AND you can claim the vat back (simples) my Dell has been very good and the one problem I had with it ,they came to me !

I've had 3 bad experiences with Acer... the 1st two we bought (at the same time) both suffered cracked casing around the hinges on the top within 12 months of purchace... Acer's comment "only to be expected with budget laptops"!!! (£700 each, i know that's 'budget' in the grand scheme of things but really, thats £1400 which is a lot of actual money)... In the end they replaced the casings FOC as I would expect but it took some effort!

The 3rd one (bought about 6 months after) screen died just 1 month out of warranty so that was a no go (that was only a £299 Tesco special so whatever).

I have a Dell 1501 , it's not bad ; can't remember how much it cost but couldn't have been over £500 and I've used it constantly for something like 2 years . I'm not a big fan of Dell , I got it as it was well speced for the cost and a reputable company , I wanted something cheap that would last a year and in that time I could determine exactly what it was I wanted out of a laptop ( I hadn't owned one previously )

Only problems I have with it are it's over heating and the hassle involved in stripping it down to clean the dust out of it as it sucks it in like a Kate Moss Hoover . The screen is a bit slack now - lets see opened/closed twice daily for 2 years so thats about 730 times moved . Mrs has one too ( like dirtjumper we bought as a couple , cringe :LOL: ) and hers doesn't overheat as much and I've never had to strip it down for a clean unlike mine which needs doing every 4 months ; she got the next model up that has an Intel processor whereas mine is a crappy AMD Sempron . my reasoning being I would be better off saving the extra and getting something better once id determined what later on .

Which I did ; a IBM Thinkpad x31 , which funnily is a few years older . its great , tiny . I use mine on the sofa arm and my wrist gets a bit sore on the corner of the dell , the x31 is a lot smaller so is more comfortable and as i sit so close to it anyway I don't need such a big screen .

While the Dell is very sturdy and certainly feels like it could take being dropped , the x31 eeks of quality , it's well thought out too , 4 screws and the keyboard is out and I can get to everything . Thinkpads are business laptops , it's their primary use so you should give an old one a lot of thought .

Check out http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:Models

I think an older T series will suit .

Check here for any possible model related problems .

http://forum.thinkpads.com/index.php?si ... e1c4cc4638

Thanks for all the help chaps....I have talkied to my mobile phone provider and can get a good deal on these
http://threestore.three.co.uk/laptops/
at least 25% off the deal minimum
lets say I want to pay £25 a month....which laptop?

Edit: The NC10 seems to be regarded...now if I can get that on a sub £25 per month 18 month 5GB contract...that wouldn't be too shabby would it? Coverage is ok

I dont know much about I.T stuff , thats my mrs' job (msc in it)
She uses a Sony vaio for her things (lovely thing it is too)
But when I wanted a wee thing for dragging around and for surfing , I bought an nc10 with her blessing, had it for 6 months and it is a VERY well put together little piece of kit with atleast 6 hours batterylife with normal use.

It wouldnt dissappoint you, bt is the screen big enough for you? 10" .

Gc

Harryburgundy":3f5scr2j said:

Would have to wear my reading glasses :LOL:

i also said in your other thread to go for the NC10 if you do the only fault i have with it is the small touchpad worth investing in a small optical mouse for use with it

computerbitz":21ggme6k said:
Harryburgundy":21ggme6k said:

Would have to wear my reading glasses :LOL:

i also said in your other thread to go for the NC10 if you do the only fault i have with it is the small touchpad worth investing in a small optical mouse for use with it

Agreed,
Though I have never bothered with the mouse, the touch pad is a little small for my sausage like fingers :LOL:

Gc

Back