rebuilding my Fausto Coppi Galaxy

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so i bought my Fausto Coppi Galaxy in the late 90's from Ricci sport in Redruth Cornwall, i used it as my main road bike for about 4 years, then i changed to a giant TCR carbon when they first came out, then back to the Coppi when i worked at GA cycles as that shop was a Coppi dealer, later the frame got hung up as i went more modern.

i should add for those that don't know, this is a made in Italy frame not the cheaper taiwan made frames, it was made by Masciaghi.

it originally started out being yellow, and i never used the original fork as i put a carbon Mizuno fork in from new, in about 2003 i had it painted by Fatcreations when he was starting out, Dave hemming arranged it for me as he's known Ali (at Fatcreations) since their early racing days. the paint is a pearl white and even back then Ali was painted the logos as opposed to using stickers. that paint has stood the test of time with only a couple of small chips.

i had planned on rebuilding it with the original groupset i built it with, Recored 10speed but my Orange Dynamo D2 has developed a crack which is unfortunately unrepairable so i'm using all the parts off that frame instead, this is a mix of 9 and 10 speed record with Chorus brakes and tune/mavic wheels, however the plan is to eventually refit the full 10speed group as i plan on selling the Condor frame it's currently all attached to, but that won't be till i can afford a newer frame.

anyway here are some pics!

original look
coppi1 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

me in a time trial, this was in 2007
coppi2 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the frame as it currently is
fausto coppi galaxy by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

record headset fitted

you can just see the faint glitter in the logo

the old school Fatcreations logo

the webbing style, similar to old school Rossin bikes

fork detail

rear end

Re:

i have done a little more work since the pics in the last post, i have removed all the parts from the donor Orange D2, the cranks have been sent to a polisher as they were a little pitted and scratched. i ordered some Deda elementi bars/stem and seat post and tape as this build will be in a more original style, when the frame was new it was supplied with a threaded fork, i never used it so with this build i wanted to have a more traditional look with a quill stem etc, the Deda stuff is effectively modern but it looks old style so i figured it was perfect.

so currently the wheels, bars, stream and post are fitted, i'll do the rest when the cranks come back from the polishers in a week or so.

IMG_7546 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the tune rear hub in Orange
IMG_7547 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

sparkling in the sun
IMG_7548 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_7549 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_7550 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

some small original cable rubs to clean up
IMG_7551 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_7552 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

Lovely looking frameset mate, not heard of that model.

Some clubmates bitd got the steel Polti ones, yellow and green. I always thought the MG Technogym versions looked nicer. K14 model, in white or dark blue.
Look forward to progress Jon

Mike

Re:

my friend has the K14 in the dark blue, big dint in the top tube though as he got knocked off it! these were used by team Polti in the late 90's. i was leaning towards a period Dura Ace build but finances don't allow but also i am a campag man.

Re: coppi galaxy

beautiful frame very like some of the more modern carbon designs so well ahead of its time
nearly bought one of these a few years back regret not buying it now

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":3l4uepjr said:
my friend has the K14 in the dark blue, big dint in the top tube though as he got knocked off it! these were used by team Polti in the late 90's. i was leaning towards a period Dura Ace build but finances don't allow but also i am a campag man.

Wow what a wonderful frame set this Fausto Coppi Galaxy - I have a darkblue MG-Technogym Aluminium K14 only ...

Attachments

• IMG_0462_01.jpg
    IMG_0462_01.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,347
Re:

the K14 was considered to be the lighter weight frame, whereas the galaxy frame was aimed at the sprinters as the webbing made it stiffer.

the bike is finished now, i thought i had updated the thread but obviously not!

so here's the finished pics

:D
IMG_7612 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the drive train is 10 speed record cranks (polished by Pistaresistance from instagram) with 9speed chain and cassette, 9 speed record r/mech, running annoyingly at Dura Ace front mech! but only until i find a campagnolo mech!
IMG_7613 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_7614 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the pedals are older crank bros quattro pedals, they'll be gone soon!
IMG_7615 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

jamey at pistaresistance does amazing polishing, he charged £35 to do these, he's based in Waterlooville in hampshire, top bloke. they looked terrible when i sent them to him.
IMG_7616 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

this frame was repainted by Fatcreations in maybe 2003, Ali was just starting back them but his work was still good then, all the lettering is stencilled and although looks black has a tiny amount of glitter in it
IMG_7617 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the matching fork
IMG_7619 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the massive webbing to help stiffen the frame for sprinting
IMG_7621 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the lovely Tune rear hub, and yes the QR's will replaced for something more appropriate

IMG_7623 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i wanted to build the bike with a Deda finishing kit as i felt it suited the frame, the only bummer is that i have found that the logo on the seat post has to go in to the frame (not in this pic) for my correct seat height which actually makes the frame look too big for me, this is due to the shape of the post, i previously had a ITM millennium post in there which was round all the way to the saddle clamp which looked appropriate at the correct height so the post may change.
IMG_7624 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i fitted a Madison saddle, it has the look i want and i find it comfy, noting more to say there really! the tyres are vittoria which is just what i had lying around, they'll do for now.
IMG_7625 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the brake callipers are Centaur, can't remember why i sold the record ones i had, god knows why i did that otherwise this would have been pretty much all Record, will keep an eye out for another set i think.
IMG_7610 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

i got the wheels about 13 years ago when i worked at GA cycles in southampton, a customer came in with a Saeco cannondale, for some deranged reason he wanted it painting black and wanted everything on it parts wise as black as possible, he was gonna take the wheels away with him but we talked and i got the wheels for £100! i have since rebuilt them with silver spokes though as i hate black spokes. but £100 for open pro rims with a Tune rear campagnolo hub is amazing!

Back