Rear triangle help

Tolsey31

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I've taken a chance on an 89 Rockhopper frame in great condition but with an alignment issue at the rear. It came with original mountain lx groupset. It was being sold by a bike shop and I think it has been stored since new but not ridden. I could probably make my money back on the components so I took the gamble.
Does anyone on the forum have the wherewithal to correct a rear triangle and what would it cost? The frame is definitely worth saving if possible. I'll add some photos when it's been delivered and you'll see what I mean.
Cheers Chris.

I you want to attempt yourself: Have a search for RJ The Bike Guy on Youtube. He has a walkthrough DIY on correcting rear alignment on a steel frame. Pretty straight forward.

RJ's videos are very helpful.

I've cold set the rear triangles on steel frames a couple of times. First one was a De Rosa road bike where one side had been pushed inwards and the OLD was about 100mm owing to that. I used the plank of wood method. I found using threaded rod and nuts was better to spread the frame but it still takes some finessing to get everything centred.

Some string lines and a rule (or ruler if you want), and some whisky.

The whisky is essential but it is critical to get the intake correct. You need the right amount to give you the courage to start grunting your frame apart with a plank of timber, but not too much that you get sloppy with your work.

Grumps

RJ's videos are very helpful.

I've cold set the rear triangles on steel frames a couple of times. First one was a De Rosa road bike where one side had been pushed inwards and the OLD was about 100mm owing to that. I used the plank of wood method. I found using threaded rod and nuts was better to spread the frame but it still takes some finessing to get everything centred.

Some string lines and a rule (or ruler if you want), and some whisky.

The whisky is essential but it is critical to get the intake correct. You need the right amount to give you the courage to start grunting your frame apart with a plank of timber, but not too much that you get sloppy with your work.

Grumps
Thanks, so dosage is key to success....got it 👌🏻

Back