rear shocks from Taiwan/Thailand

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
been looking over ebay for rear shocks as i have a feelig mine is goosed/may need a service (which can be just as expensive as buying another shock sometime), but anyway, what i can see are many Fox/Suntour/Rockshox rear shocks - brand new (and in the size im after) but the snag for me is that they are from Taiwan or Thailand.

this just says 'cheap quality knock off' for some reason.

am i being a litle too presumptuous? or is my concern legit?

case example: (you have to scroll down a litle bit)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... p;_sacat=0

they're still expensive, i just dont know how genuine they are....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Haha, not bloody likely. My LTS is currently wall art, awaiting a rebuild that at this rate will see me into retirement!

Re:

I'm in the same boat with the same size shock! Cant justify the expense of a shock service on a frame that is worth £100- I too am tempted by those DNM shocks...

But I think I will just stump up the cash for a new shock or shock service.

to be honest, my shock (Fox RPL) looks easy enough to service.
good vid here:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXWLpMOUVEo[/youtube]

looked at mojos website, £100+ for a service?! f**k right off.

do it myself thanks. if i cock it up, sell shock for spares, put money toward new shock.

My 2008 Fox shock was very easy to service, you need one of the cheap DU bush tools from ebay and a pick to remove the O-rings.

Re:

Interesting vid. My shock is actually working OK (holding air anyway) but the lockout is knackered and the rebound adjuster seems to do nowt.

not sure about the lockout/rebound adjuster issue - sounds a bit fiddly to me!
i think my shock started weeping oil yesterday after a bit of a pounding round Friston forest.
seals might need replacing, although since i serviced it its not done too many 'hours' of riding. but i dont know how well these things last without being used....

Re:

i have used this guy in taiwan before to buy shocks from ebay..

will be getting another from him soon for the Missus's heckler.. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/huangbowei?_t ... 7675.l2559

the video above shows a simple aircan service... they are dead simple to do by any competent home mechanic.. and there are plenty of english videos too showing the same thing.. buy a seal kit and some float fluid and you are good to go.. (a strap wrench might be a good thing to have too..)

The £100 ish service offered by Mojo / TFtuned etc also services the damper oil and seals.. is much more in depth.. and that video does NOT cover it..

It isnt generally do-able by your average home mechanic as it involves depressurising and re-pressurising the IFP chamber which can be upto 400PSI and its Generally Nitrogen in the IFP rather than air...

Theres plenty more that goes on during the damper service too, but suffice it to say the £100 is pretty good in terms of labour / fluid / seals charges..

i'd also recommend www.locotuning.co.uk for rear shocks.. Hes fully fox trained (used to work at Mojo), is a top bloke, and is a bit cheaper than mojo / TF

Hes just finished a Custom tune / service / travel alteration on my Fox Float X and i cant wait to get it back next week to try it!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back