Readers Bike Date Split

TheGreenRabbit":380srquf said:
Not wanting to get drawn into this debate, my slingshot has a 92 rear end and a 99 top & head tube, so is both modern and retro.

Never mind thers always one !!

Guess you'll have to cut it in half and post two pics in two sections :shock:

OK, key thing here is some common sense really, and think this seems to be the general consensus.

Date split is not meant to be a defined 'retro' cut off, this has been discussed to death, this cannot be concluded.

The site started off as pure retro stuff with people talking old bikes. That is what made the site the community it is today. Dictionary definition and common usage do not define retro clearly. Who cares. Don't get hung up.

We wanted to ensure the site stays true to its roots and not get diluted too much. Fine line bewteen growing and losing focus. The comments from people discovering the site for the first time and reminiscing about days gone by is where we started. The anno. The steel. The ti. The rigid bikes. The shite brakes. The cnc. etc etc. Thats what we love.

There are many newer bikes which are along the retro vibe. The few that were appearing made a good bit of interest. However, when the quantity of newer bikes increases, this loses some of the original vibe that brought people here.

There are many other forms dedicated to newer bikes. Although we are not against new stuff in any way, or against some discussion, it was apparent that this was beginnning to dilute what we are about. No denying new bikes are popular. Hey, theres a whole industry based on it!

All we have done is provide a framework where its easier to see bikes of an older vintage, or slightly newer if thats what floats your boat. At the same time, we are trying to keep the retro chat retro based. Questions about 4-pots/Fox/how to get my Turner shimidy out etc are not really retro based. Thats what the OT forum is for if you must.

It may appear as heavy modding. It is :twisted:. But hopefully for a short time to ensure we keep what is important to the site true.

Like it or not, its the way it is.
Stick around, give it a chance. Don't take offence if your thread gets moved.

We like talking old bikes. Lets talk old bikes yeah?
:D

I see many responses and quite extensive stories. Thanks for your thoughts.

Personally I enjoy looking at classic bikes, preferably thoroughbreds, but at least classic.

I understand for some it is that + a little more. Pobably it developed it in that direction just because Retrobike has always been quite liberal. The site has been launched years ago with the aim offer a podium and q&a possibilty for everything classic bike related. AND forming a nice community.

When I hear phrases like ''It is all about community'', I think true, but at the same time we should be beware that it isn't getting to vague. I discuss SAABs in SAAB forums and when my washingmachine is broke I go ask a forums on laundry equipment. True these are quite more extreme examples than new vs old bicycles, but at some point the huge no. of newer or remotely old bikes can soak up too much space and make the whole boards move too far from it's original goal. That is when action is required.

Finally I would like to stress that the ''vitually burn all non retro content :twisted: '' checkbox idea is mine and it is absolutely no forum policy. I hope I didn't scare anyone off nor that people hate me now. Or at least not that much that they will no longer vote my Zieleman for BOTM December :LOL: Thank you.

Elev12k":1fiz9yft said:
Finally I would like to stress that the ''vitually burn all non retro content :twisted: '' checkbox idea is mine and it is absolutely no forum policy.

I actually thought that was inspired Mel! :D

Back