Re Chinese Titanium Frames

A lot of companies have their products made in china, it doesn't make them any worse. You need to understand that they will have strict quality control though. You can obtain lists of the factories and the companies they produce for, you can then contact the factories direct and have the same product made for you and specify colour and branding options. They usually require you to purchase a minimum quantity though. They have different views on copyright so a lot of other factories will copy the products, some good copies, most bad copies, all poor and often dangerous alternatives. If you want quality, you still got to pay, find a company that makes in house and you should be fine.

Gee, wasn't it the off-shoring of North American manufacturing and fabrication jobs that created some of the very problems our cultures are now facing ... including putting, for example, Paul Brodie out of the biz ?

I've ridden plenty of Chinese frames, but wouldn't be comfortable speccing my own directly. In my experience, the default Chinese business mentality is that what's agreed is only the start of the negotiation - which never stops until the product is delivered. If they think you won't notice lower quality materials, poorer workmanship, higher final price etc - you'll get them. Prior reputation or work is no guarantee of future quality either. It is all part of the game, and you are expected to play it.

There's plenty of decent stuff made in China, but you can bet it is strictly QCed.

Re:

You have to specify everything. Although I've found that the UK companies I've used try to get away with anything they can, sizes regularly undersize of tolerance, deep scratches on laser cut parts. Overly deep and rough countersinking on tapped holes.
Always a couple of £60k cars in the car park.
The Chinese companies I've worked with go by the drawing and instructions, anything unsure and they ask.
Just my experience, I'm sure other companies must be different!

A friend of mine had a team Marin Ti (lynskey made) and it cracked twice at the rear dropout.....just goes to show that even 'high end' Ti can let go if not welded properly.

Personally I'm not keen on Chinese stuff and would go out of my way not to buy anything which comes from there.

mkone":ppd1y3z7 said:
A lot of companies have their products made in china, it doesn't make them any worse. You need to understand that they will have strict quality control though. You can obtain lists of the factories and the companies they produce for, you can then contact the factories direct and have the same product made for you and specify colour and branding options. They usually require you to purchase a minimum quantity though. They have different views on copyright so a lot of other factories will copy the products, some good copies, most bad copies, all poor and often dangerous alternatives. If you want quality, you still got to pay, find a company that makes in house and you should be fine.

yup, and exactly the same practices and cork sniffing snobbery exists with the guitar world too..

for example.

fenders product lines: usa > fender jpn > fender mexico.
squiers fender product lines: jpn -> korea -> india/indonesia -> china

story goes the korean factories (samick and cort) were putting out clones that competed so well in the world market fender got them to make the "official" entry level (squier) instruments for their brand

Music its down to the musician, thought the instrument is a help, its not the be all end all. You cant take a talentless person and make them a music god be giving them a high quality instrument.

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":6k5qck4p said:
Ironic that everyone posting this crap is using Chinese products every day.

Yep.. Chinese stuff is everywhere. It's almost impossible to avoid it in one form or another.

Back