Re chain for DA 7401 8 speed hyerglide cassette

Re: Re:

Maca":s0mapaz6 said:
Not a case of trying to muddy the waters I was giving my experience and opinion which is ..... that when I have used a new current chain the shifting was ok. When I used an original Shimano chain it was perfect. Each to their own I guess.

I bet you couldn't tell the difference riding in the dark. We are all (me included) terribly suggestible.

Look at the tests on tyres - people report certain tyres as 'fast' during tests. Timing data reveals they were slower.

Re: Re:

hamster":1epg9ooa said:
Maca":1epg9ooa said:
Not a case of trying to muddy the waters I was giving my experience and opinion which is ..... that when I have used a new current chain the shifting was ok. When I used an original Shimano chain it was perfect. Each to their own I guess.

I bet you couldn't tell the difference riding in the dark. We are all (me included) terribly suggestible.

Look at the tests on tyres - people report certain tyres as 'fast' during tests. Timing data reveals they were slower.

Maybe not, but I could tell the difference in the day light, I seriously found that with modern chains it would change perfect either up or down but not both. Put an old chain on and it worked straight away.

As I've said just my experience

I'm in an interesting position of being able to test a real live 1990 XT HG90 cassette and HG91 chain.

They are in very good condition.

The shifting is TERRIBLE!!!!

Very rough feeling, all clackerty clack.

Looked at the chain and theres not as much chamfering on the links when compared to a contemporary SACHS chain or later Shimano, TAYA or KMC chains.

Tried the cassette with a very basic modern 105 9spd chain and a 7/8spd TAYA - the shifting is back to how it is on my other bikes with newer cassettes and chains. Much smoothererererer.

Re:

"Very rough feeling, all clackerty clack."

That's because old Shimano chains are sh1te. The new ones are some of the best, in my humble opinion

Really interesting that the HG90 and HG 91 didn't work well together and yet the cassette worked well with a modern chain. I have just bought a NOS HG70 cassette to replace the DA 7401 I am using at the moment. The HG90s were stupid money, and I mean really stupid, and yet got the HG70 for a sensible price. No idea how that's going to work relative to the DA. Mind you, under 50 grams heavier than the DA so not too bad.

Also dead interesting that the newer Shimano chains work well. May try one with the HG70. Any particular chain stand out or are they all much of a muchness?

Back