Raleigh TT Special 853

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
Bit of a rare one this by all accounts, possibly one of only five built and never ridden.....

853 tubing, 1995 and SB numbered. Built for Giles' in Carterton and bought by one of their employees after it remained unsold and put out the back!

Another project to complete before Spring!

Attachments

• 851 - 1.jpg
    851 - 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 39
  • 851 - 9.jpg
    851 - 9.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 851 - 8.jpg
    851 - 8.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 851 - 7.jpg
    851 - 7.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 851 - 6.jpg
    851 - 6.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 851 - 5.jpg
    851 - 5.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 851 - 4.jpg
    851 - 4.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 26
  • 851 - 3.jpg
    851 - 3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 851 - 2.jpg
    851 - 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 39
Don’t shoot me, but 11 speed chorus looks good value. DA 7700 is getting rare in good condition and I want something almost new to put on it
Nah... I'm not a purist, I won't shoot you. Retromod would be cool. Does Chorus come in silver or are you going for black?

I'm building my year '96 Mercian time trial this spring (needs respray) but I'm using Ultegra 6500 from 1997-2004 as I have the group lying around.

That's got to be one of the last SB number frames to be built?.. and in superb unused & carefully stored condition. My 1980 753 Dynaflite has just 70 miles on the clock but sadly wasn't stored so well 😢 and the paint has suffered. Does yours have aero seat and top tubes?.. and is the down tube fatter underside like mine?

Nah... I'm not a purist, I won't shoot you. Retromod would be cool. Does Chorus come in silver or are you going for black?

I'm building my year '96 Mercian time trial this spring (needs respray) but I'm using Ultegra 6500 from 1997-2004 as I have the group lying around.
Ha ha, hard to be a purest in a budget!! Not sure really, just going to bide my time until something crops up at a good price

That's got to be one of the last SB number frames to be built?.. and in superb unused & carefully stored condition. My 1980 753 Dynaflite has just 70 miles on the clock but sadly wasn't stored so well 😢 and the paint has suffered. Does yours have aero seat and top tubes?.. and is the down tube fatter underside like mine?
Standard seat and top tubes. The down tube is symmetrical, tapered top and bottom. I don’t normally like bikes with different tube shapes / diameters but it kind of suits this one!

Standard seat and top tubes. The down tube is symmetrical, tapered top and bottom. I don’t normally like bikes with different tube shapes / diameters but it kind of suits this one!
I would say that it comes under the same 'Dynaflite Banner' used by Raleigh for it's frames that have ovoid out of round tubes.
From the RSP catalogue and model T3 which I'm guessing is titanium but has an aero down tube like yours and has the Dynaflite designation.

Screenshot_20220206-210448~2.png

I would say that it comes under the same 'Dynaflite Banner' used by Raleigh for it's frames that have ovoid out of round tubes.
From the RSP catalogue and model T3 which I'm guessing is titanium but has an aero down tube like yours and has the Dynaflite designation.

View attachment 602049
Wow - good info there. Seat stays are flattened, down tube also aero. Thanks for sharing, not seen that page before

Back