Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988 - final instalment now added

Re: Raleigh Team Pro - SB1988

ok, as would be nice with all Super Record on this

Not much progress - now clear coat lacquer is on this frame and while it hardens I've been building up another with the Shimano groupset that came on this. (And Nob has made me feel a tiny bit guilty so I've also been looking, half heartedly, for some Campagnolo cranks.)
Difficult to see in this pic how shiny it is so you'll have to believe me that it is very shiny indeed - much more than it was meant to be!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 490

It looking good but the mess reflected off the window could do with tidying up :)

Has to be Campag SR as your doing such a good job of the frame :)

Today, like last weekend, chez glpinxit has the aroma of Autosol about it and the sound of whining Dremmel. And with Mrs GLP out singing all day there is no one around to complain at the mess ... other than Nob, that is. Pleased at how much difference a bit of polishing can make.
(Breakthrough, however, with no prompting Mrs GLP says we must build an extension to replace the conservatory where this work currently happens and also include a workshop for me as well as a car port!)

(Edited to remove a random apostrophe.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 437
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 438

Mrs GLP has the same sentiments as me then the floor area is indeed a mess
crying.gif

At last, a nice day and the first Sunday ride of the year with with no puncture! Perfect to show off progress with the bike. Paris-Nice on Euro Sport 2 precludes the first mow of the year though I might fit that in later.

I bought the wheels for a song last November. They turned up wonky and absolutely filthy and each sporting a random assortment of plain gauge and butted, silver and black spokes on Campagnolo Nouvo Tipo hubs with Mavic Module2 rims. Not at all promising but the rims had almost no brake wear so after the regulation month in the shed I replaced about half of the spokes. The bearings felt smooth when I trued the wheels. Yesterday was the day to service the bearings and I wasn't very hopeful. So you can imagine my surprise to find absolutely no wear on the bearings whatsoever! The races are still matt with no shiny track, even so a good clean and re-pack with grease. All very odd.

(Edit to say the lawn is now mown...)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 419
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 419
Re: progress report

We've been away too often at the weekend recently but now the clocks have gone forward I've been itching to make some progress. So...
Brakes. The bike has yet to turn a wheel but the Gran Sport callipers have already made way for a pair of Super Records. (The only difference between SR and Nuovo Record apparently being SR has alloy block carriers and NR has steel.) Now waiting for original blocks from SJS.
Cranks have been back and forth between the ones pictured above and some stop gap Gran Sports. Determined for now by JIS taper BB and I'll keep looking for SR ones.
Tyres are now mounted. This got set back when I destroyed 3 inner tubes on another bike with a combination of tight folding tyres and new excessively pointed levers thanks Bontrager). This time wired Michelin Dynamics didn't need levers. But I can't decide if 25mm is too chunky.
And the stack height of the headset was too low. So I tracked down a Campag spacer.
Sorry about no pictures. (And probably lots of iPhone typos.)

The jungle behind is something Bear Grylls will have a hard time struggling to get through...........

Update time and a tale of little jobs and minor setbacks.
Brake blocks arrived and are now installed. This build is turning me a little bit obsessional and "Campagnolo" moulded into them it made me happy (though at £4.50 each the four cost half what the brakes cost so happiness should come as standard).
But I need a different bottom bracket. The small chain wheel fouls the stay on the cranks that match the installed BB. With the Campag cranks it is fine but they are the wrong taper. Annoying but the delay is the main annoyance.
Front mech is on and I've chosen the four hole Super Record over the three hole alternative. This choice is because I should have painted the bands a little further up the seat tube. Not the end of the world but still a bit of a shame. The 4 hole SR is on a plain parallel sided band which helps.
Pedals are on, now with Christophe clips and straps.
Cables are also now on brakes and gears. The latter still need trimming.
The very last job will be mounting the headstock badge. The frame came drilled for it and the rivets are from eBay (advertised for a chopper). I'm inclined to not polish the badge, what do you think?
Starting to get excited now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 318
Back