Raleigh Team 753 1980 Completed

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
It's been a while (just over 2 years actually) since I first posted a build I was starting (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=197316). However, after all that time, that build is now complete. I finally built the front wheel today which means I've been able to stand the bike on its wheels for the first time.

Full Spec:

Most components are NOS. Where NOS was either impossible to find or price was just too high, mint condition unmarked used parts have been used.

1980 Raleigh Team Pro 753 57cm Frame and Forks SB4059
NOS Super Record Brake Set (Calipers, Levers, Cables)
36H Record Hubs 126/100 OLN (PAT80)
NOS Mavic SSC 36H Rims
NOS Clement Criterium Seta Tubs
Stainless DB Spokes/Brass Nipples
NOS Super Record Rear Mech (PAT80)
NOS Super Record Front Mech
Super Record Gear Levers
Super Record Chainset (PAT80)
Record Pedals (Steel Axles)
NOS Campagnolo Toe Clips
NOS Alfredo Binda Toe Straps
Record Bottom Bracket (Steel Axle)
Super Record 27.0 Seatpin
Super Record Headset
NOS Cinelli 1A 26.4 110 Stem
NOS Cinelli 66-44 Campione Del Mondo 26.4 Handlebars
NOS White Benotto Tape
Brooks Professional Saddle

SBDU Standard spec for hubs/rims was 32H but sourcing NOS SSC rims was impossible. I finally found some NOS SSC but in 36H, so snapped them up.

Thanks to some friends in California, I found some genuine white Benotto bar tape. This was perfect for the Cinelli stem and bars.

As the frame number is SB4059, dating to 1980, I tried to get as many Super record components from the same year. So any component with a PAT date mark had to be '80'. The very first component I bought for this bike was the NOS PAT 80 rear mech. It's complemented by the NOS front mech.

Although it has been a long time sourcing everything, the hardest part to trace and buy (at a reasonable price) were leather toe straps. The Binda toe straps came up in my eBay feed and I snapped them straight up. They finish off the Record pedals. The chainset is in mint used condition and has the all important 1980 date code on the rear of each arm.

The stopping power is from a NOS Super Record brakeset which came complete with NOS genuine Campagnolo inners/outers.

I've stuck as much as possible to an actual customer build spec order produced by Gerald O'Donovan at SBDU. They spec'd all steel parts (no titanium), so that meant steel axle Record pedals and steel axle Record BB. I've fitted a Brooks Professional Saddle as I have so far found it impossible to find either a NOS Iscaselle Tornado or Cinelli saddle.

Berg Union Chrome spokes were also standard spec but I've decided to go for Stainless Steel (personal preference).

Totally loved building this bike. Now I have another 6 months of looking at it until the good weather comes along again and I can ride it!

Attachments

• Raleigh Team Complete 753 Bike.jpg
    Raleigh Team Complete 753 Bike.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Raleigh Team Pro 753 Mavis SSC NOS Rims.jpg
    Raleigh Team Pro 753 Mavis SSC NOS Rims.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Raleigh Team Pro 753 Cinelli Bars and Stem.jpg
    Raleigh Team Pro 753 Cinelli Bars and Stem.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Raleigh Team Pro 753 Front and Rear Mech.jpg
    Raleigh Team Pro 753 Front and Rear Mech.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Raleigh Team Pro 753 Chainset and Pedals.jpg
    Raleigh Team Pro 753 Chainset and Pedals.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Raleigh Team Pro 753 Super Record Brakes.jpg
    Raleigh Team Pro 753 Super Record Brakes.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,609
ktuludays":c5w9w70i said:
wow! that's a belter. well done for having the patience to wait 2 years to complete.

Thank you. It's been a long 2 years! Especially as I built it in my dining room and it has been looking at me all that time.

Staggeringly good. Patience of a saint as well...two years :shock:

Congrats on a great bike ... last RBOTM winner of 2013???

FINNEY1973":33h4h1gl said:
Staggeringly good. Patience of a saint as well...two years :shock:

Congrats on a great bike ... last RBOTM winner of 2013???

Thank you. My OCD means that parts have to be either new or look like new - so that takes a little while for affordable bits to come up - there also appears to be hundreds of people after the same parts so competition to buy them was tough! Seems like lots of people are building retro bikes!

Excellent project, a job well done . I do not think two years is overly long ...well not from my way of doing things. I reckon most of the enjoyment is finding the parts you want at a fair price.
All you need now is the Raleigh team kit of the time ;)

Fantastic job. Would love to own something similar.

Well done. Not going to enter RBoTM now I have seen that's in there!!

Matt

Fantastic bike , and a very patient builder / partner !
Hate to think how much it cost to buy all the quality parts for it though .
Mike

Back