Raleigh T.I. Team 753

holes in the dropouts mean it was originally sold as a timetrial frame. This came from the days when everything was drilled for timetrials - brake levers, gear leavers, brake calipers, even cranks.

the lack of braze ons was done (or not) cos it was thought 753 was too fragile to cope with extra brazing mid tube. In those days only a handful of builders could use 753 and I think it was raleigh who developed it with reynolds, so its poss that this was the only make of 753 in existence back then.

just editing to say there was also a silver one in addition to the three in the photo.

Thanks for educating me. The facts that the drilled holes in drop outs were specific for time trial (and short stages?) frames were new to me.

Serial number beginning SB confirms it was built at Ilkeston as a 'Special Build'.

I am told that 753 frames require a 26.8 seatpin, this distinguishes them from 531 which are 27.2.

further to my post above, i am told that the idea of drilled dropouts being a timetrial frame is for the first generation of raleigh 753's and these were usually gold or silver. Later on they used these dropouts on all their frames and there was no distinction between road or TT. Therefore, i'm guessing yours isnt first generation, but early 80's as opposed to late 70's.

Back