Raleigh Super Lenton 1956 22" frame

Hi Neil. After cleaning the area I found the frame number which is 61900A 🙂
I guess that means it was made a lot later in 1956 than your model?

Attachments

• 20230303_123126.jpg
    20230303_123126.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi as far as I’m aware these Raleigh frame numbers apply across the whole Raleigh range (which was huge!). So I would guess that these 2 Super Lentons were retailed round about the same time. I remember the original owner of my bike confirming he acquired it in Oct ‘56.
Think they were flying off the production line at the time!

Hi have a Super Lenton which is currently having a spruce-up, it'll not be going back to original but will still be recognisable.
I belive it's from 1954, (T serial number) it's the model previous to yours, blue with chrome socks, earlier lug pattern and no bare brake cable braze ons under the top tube. The 4 speed FM hub is dated 1954 as is the front Dyno-hub.
It was painted with a heavy coat of Dulux time-trial black when I got it and I've been stripping it back but to the original finish but he paint has not survived very well. Interestingly when I revealed the original 531 sticker on the seat tube it appears to indicate that the frame is built with butted tubing - which was supposedly not introduced until late 1955 for the 1956 season.
This looks like another of the inconsistencies between Raleighs frame numbers, catalogues and the actual production date changes, I've come across many whilst restoring my 1940s/50s RRAs (2 of which have frame numbers that are non-existent in any published Raleigh records.

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi interesting story there, thanks for posting up. Yeah I always thought the twirly lugs (which my frame has) is a sure indication that the frame has double-butted Reynolds tubing. On the other hand your frame, which also has the double butted Reynolds tubing, has the earlier lug pattern. I’ll post up a clearer pic of the “Reynolds” sticker on my frame tomorrow, when there’s a bit more daylight.
It was good fortune the previous owner never changed anything on the bike, so mine came with chromed steel drop bars, and a steel domed Reynolds seat tube. Did yours originally come with alloy items?

Hi, the bike came with steel seat post and alloy GB bars, not sure if they are original but the steel stem, GB Sport brakes/levers and chainset are.
The text on the 531 decal on mine is not visible but the green "531" numbers are diagonal which, as far as I can see, only appeared on the butted decals, plain gauge tube sets and some butted ones had horizontal numbers.
(I gathered this from searching the multiple 531 decals on H Lloyds website and am waiting for confirmation from Steve at H Lloyd = but am quite open to be proved wrong!)

Attachments

• s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
This is the decal I expected to see on my frame, from Google.

Attachments

• 1950s-vintage-raleigh-super-lenton google1.jpg
    1950s-vintage-raleigh-super-lenton google1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1950s-vintage-raleigh-super-lenton google2.jpg
    1950s-vintage-raleigh-super-lenton google2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi that’s good you can still make out the original diagonal “531” numbers on your frame. Interesting to see yours also has the steel seatpost (although not the steel drop bars).
Anyway I’ve attached below a better pic of the Reynolds decal on my bike “… ..butted tubes forks and stays”.
The butted frame came in at the start of 1955 so I can only imagine that your bike must be at or around the change-over period end 54 / beginning 55? Only a guess, lost in the mists of time!😀

Attachments

• E1256868-7D34-4E5A-B163-710140CC0247.jpeg
    E1256868-7D34-4E5A-B163-710140CC0247.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the pic of your decal, I'm going to replace mine with a new one of those after painting, I have the photographic proof of it being originally fitted with that decal so I'll go with "like for like".

vintagebicycleman, please can you contact me at chris_heys@hotmail.com? Not sure why but I am unable to send a private message on this forum.

Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris
I think there needs to be a minimum amount of posts before a new person can send private messages. This is due to Spam and other issues in the past.
In the meantime your email is best.
Cheers
Jamie

Back