Raleigh SBDU 531SL build thread

Midlife":1uv786li said:
All coming together nicely :D Silly question but are the rear brake blocks on the "stabbby" 70's campag brakes the wrong way round?

Shaun

Quite possibly - not set them up yet. I'll check when I cable them up but cheers for the heads up!

Re: Mudguards

SKS now do a long guard that does not need eyelets. £30 a set online. I've seen a few pairs fitted and they're very good. Think it looks just right as is. Nice job and love that colour

Re: Re:

gavr":1f2gcv5b said:
Any votes for mudguards anyone? It's got the clearance but no eyes...

My vote is no mudguards. The clearances aren't exactly huge and your "speed" chainrings set the tone for the bike.

Looking very nice. I do like a nice bit of Suntour Superbe. I have some nice early Superbe slotted brake levers if you change your mind on the brakes.

Mark.

daccordimark":38itoh6q said:
I have some nice early Superbe slotted brake levers if you change your mind on the brakes.

Mark.

They do look great don't they? In fact the whole gruppo does, but for me the non-Suntour parts let it down a bit - the bottom bracket even comes with Sugino bolts just to give the game away.

The gum hoods for those levers are even harder to find than campags though. I just found a pair on American ebay for just south of a ton - for effing hoods...

gavr":1tu7qy0c said:
daccordimark":1tu7qy0c said:
I have some nice early Superbe slotted brake levers if you change your mind on the brakes.

Mark.

They do look great don't they? In fact the whole gruppo does, but for me the non-Suntour parts let it down a bit - the bottom bracket even comes with Sugino bolts just to give the game away.

The gum hoods for those levers are even harder to find than campags though. I just found a pair on American ebay for just south of a ton - for effing hoods...

Yeah, mine have generic cheapies on as I couldn't find genuine ones at any price when I was using them. Dia-Compe hoods are cheaper and of course they made the brakes for Suntour IIRC.
Those US ones are Pro's Closet - enough said.

Mark.

I'm fussy - Raleigh SBDU 531SL build thread

gavr":34o8je21 said:
So after a long wait for paint I've got a chance to build up the frame - SBDU SB1452 (H250) in 531SL from late 1976 or very early 77...headset is a slightly bruised but otherwise fantastic EDCO Competition

I do like the component mix, (my early Ron Cooper has a Suntour groupset) and a nice early frame. I personally would like to see more attention to detail though: Edco headset is well branded so why not have Edco (vertically) in line with the badge? The single bolt seatpin was not favoured by Pros BITD: they usually preferred the NR two bolter, and Simplex gear levers were de rigueur too.

The seat tube decal was often (on early SBDU frames) fitted to the headtube, positioning of the chainstay decals is not correct and I would (a) remove the BJ sticker and would have placed the 531SL sticker where the BJ one is and the SBDU foil sticker where the 531 one is.

Nice though.

Rk.

Back