Raleigh Randonneur 708 1997

Re:

Here it is:
I use it as my everyday, club-run/shops/ride out to somewhere bike.
Ignore the alternative decals. they were an attempt to promote my business.
Kit is Shimano 10 speed shifters, Campag triple cranks, Rolls saddle, SKS Longboard guards (worth every penny if you like dry feet). ITM bars and stem. Wolber GTX rims, Continental Grand Prix GT tyres (waaaay better than Gatorskins).

Attachments

• dynatch 708.jpg
    dynatch 708.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,106
Re:

^^^ Sweet! It’s like a leaner fitter brother of the tourers: forks a bit straighter, bb a bit higher?

On my watch list now. :cool:

Re:

Cheers. Had it about ten years and for a long time only used it for commuting 3 miles each way. Recently been using it for 20/30 miles and found it was a bit of a harsh ride. Then I changed the tyres and the improvement was just what I was looking for. Amazing how two similarly speced tyres from the same manufacturer can be so different.

Re:

Hi there, this is a wonderful bike! I just bought one of these 708 Randonneurs and will be collecting over the next week or so...yours will certainly provide inspiration

Out of curiousity any thoughts on the sorts of tyre clearance this frame has? I have some massive 700x43 Gravelkings and am wondering whether they might fit for a sort of retro-cross gravel build.

Thanks again for posting this thread!

Re:

Hi, new to the forum and touring bikes, I have just bought what looks like a very nice blue 708 Randonneur, should arrive next week, as someone has already asked, what size of tyre will they take with mudguards, also
what make of guards have you got on yours, the white one's. Mine has the silver, ok but I think the white, or are they a cream colour, really sets it off. Great looking bike, I have my new Brooks B17, honey waiting to go on.

Re:

Hi,

The 708 frames were designed to allow 35mm tyres with mudguards: you may be able to fit some 37mm slick tyres but it would be a very tight fit, if at all, and would be trial and error. Largest I’ve had is 35mm.

Really nice bike, I have the same model, I am fitting 35mm tyres and larger mudguards but the front derailleur cable clamp arm
is fouling on the rear mudguard, it has the original deore lx components, with a Sugino Fuse 500 chainset, I am trying to source a rear mech that will fit, I noticed you have fairly wide guards on, could you tell me what front and rear derailleurs and chainset you have on yours.

Re:

Hi -

Mine is rocking SKS longboards (P45s if memory serves) with 33.333 mm tyres. FD is a reverse (top normal/rapid rise) Suntour xc thing. Crank is a generic 110 bcd thing made by Sugino for spa cycles. No issue with the FD hitting the guard.

legrandefromage":1srp5i0t said:
file.php

Very proud to be the owner of LGF’s old Royal. It’s a good feeling to have finally picked up a touring bike to keep forever...

It’s pretty much as pictured, bar saddle and pedals. Got a few tweaks planned, main thing is brakes (considering Vs and Tektro levers), would also like some randonneur bars. I keep looking at the different Nitto options and not being able to decide what I want...

Would love to see a catalogue featuring the Royal, would be interesting to see how Raleigh specced it originally.

Back