Raleigh Randonneur 531

Re: Raleigh Randonneur

gapyeargerald":ddyysrlp said:
These bikes were a deep aubergine colour as I recall.

Not quite. They were gunmetal grey, i.e. dark grey with a hint of brown. I still have my 1991 Randonneur and ride it every weekend.

I think they changed the colouring in later years, to something brighter.

I believe your most likely right Kaitain, though you do realise that last post by road king was nearly 4 years ago ;)

Jamie

Jamiedyer":3kdvra52 said:
I believe your most likely right Kaitain, though you do realise that last post by road king was nearly 4 years ago ;)

Jamie

True, but the late 80s haven't changed in the meantime.

This is my 1986 Raleigh Randonneur 18. Besides the Butterfly Handlebar it's more or less as I bought it then.
Ever since using it for weekend trips and holliday trips

Raleigh Randonneur

My recollection is that the Randonneur replaced the Classic as Raleigh's top of range tourer in the late 80's. The early Randonneurs used a 531ST frame, with spare spokes on the drive-side chainstay. These bikes were a deep aubergine colour as I recall. Later models featured a Reynolds 708 tubeset and the spare spokes moved from drive-side to...the opposite. I think the rationale for the latter change was that drive side mounted spare spokes became brittle (work hardened) by chain contact....I have a blue 708 framed version, it's a nice and very capable machine. I think the Ridgeback Panorama is the nearest current equivalent.
Here is my Raleigh Randonneur that I've had new since 1993.

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_112616.jpg
    IMG_20230624_112616.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 23
I had a mid nineties Randonneur which I foolishly and regrettably sold, definately late eighties bike built in the Raleigh lightweight division at Nottingham, but they used WS frame numbers, despite the WS being originally intended to signify a frame built in the Carlton site near Worksop. Dawes had for many years had the top touring bikes in the Galaxy and Suoer Galaxy, Raleigh had the Clubman and Record Ace which were great day ride/light touring bikes, they developed several competitive tourers, the Granada, Royal etc, but finally brought out the Randonneur, not to compete with Dawes, but to exceed them in the ultimate touring bike category and gain absolute credibility as a touring bike manufacturer, there were no compromises, Brooks Saddle, 2 spare spokes on the chainstay, Blackburn carriers front and rear, braze ons for everything, you would still struggle to beat the spec today

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1688893973181.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688893973181.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220902_135805.jpg
    IMG_20220902_135805.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 18
Back