Raleigh Randonneur 531

^ hrm.

Frame number is WD4000651 - So 'worksop' March '84? Apparently the 'W' was discontinued 1990 so it's definitely an '84 rather than a '94.

Dropouts are Suntour. No spoke carrier or front rack braze-ons. Lugs have teardrop-shaped windows. Has cantis. Not a Randonneur then?

^ that's the bugger. Now you can all look at the embarrasingly high price I paid for it, too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
frinkmakesyouthink":3qr0lphh said:
^ hrm.

Frame number is WD4000651 - So 'worksop' March '84? Apparently the 'W' was discontinued 1990 so it's definitely an '84 rather than a '94.

Dropouts are Suntour. No spoke carrier or front rack braze-ons. Lugs have teardrop-shaped windows. Has cantis. Not a Randonneur then?

Aaarrgh!

I give up.

Roadking.

P.S Worksop factory closed in 1980, Raliegh continued using the W prefix at Nottingham for Lightweight Unit frames and bikes.

Raleigh Randonneur

My recollection is that the Randonneur replaced the Classic as Raleigh's top of range tourer in the late 80's. The early Randonneurs used a 531ST frame, with spare spokes on the drive-side chainstay. These bikes were a deep aubergine colour as I recall. Later models featured a Reynolds 708 tubeset and the spare spokes moved from drive-side to...the opposite. I think the rationale for the latter change was that drive side mounted spare spokes became brittle (work hardened) by chain contact....I have a blue 708 framed version, it's a nice and very capable machine. I think the Ridgeback Panorama is the nearest current equivalent.

You're right the Rand' replaced the Classic 15 in the lineup.

Classic 15 was same/similar colourway as the Rand'too.

Rk.

Back