Raleigh oak green (metallic) paint. Help required

trail-blazer

Retro Guru
I recently picked up a Raleigh Royal touring bike and I was planning on using it over the winter but it has a few rough areas where bare metal is showing. I was just going to touch them in to make it weather-proof if I could find a decent colour match. There's a place near me that does custom aerosols etc but I think they need a paint code. I'm guessing this paint was also used on cars BITD.

Has anyone tried to replicate this colour or does it look like a car colour you recognise from BITD?

Car paint was not used on bikes. The bikes could be stoved at a much higher temperature.
Maximum for a car is about 80c.

Keith

keithglos":2h1sc3mg said:
Car paint was not used on bikes. The bikes could be stoved at a much higher temperature.
Maximum for a car is about 80c.

Keith

OK, I didn't even consider that.

If I'd said the same shame shade of green might have been used for automotive applications, would that have been more accurate?

Re:

A car paint mixing scheme can produce almost any colour, but not suitable for touch up, and some mixes would require perhaps over a litre of paint because some colours require very small amounts of particular ingredients.

Keith

Re:

Metallic 'oak green' was a classy Golf GTi colour in the 80's (Mark 2 cars), might have been a bit darker than those pictures show, but might be worth seeing if a touch up still exists.

My advice would be to get a couple of tins of modeling paint and mix it up yourself mate as their is very little chance i suspect of finding the right colour match ..

Be careful of the chromed fork if salt, sea-air is around, I can't believe that I took care of my Raleigh but the elements still did a number on the fork, I guess, sometime I will replace it or perhaps re-chrome/plate.

I was thinking of getting my Raleigh painted Forest Green and wouldn't you know, today I saw someone on a classic build today, Forest Green.

Back