Raleigh frame ID help

Collected the frame today and there is not much to report I'm afraid, it appears to have had a bad bare metal respray and the Raleigh sticker, 531c and LE James bicycle's sticker have been applied after the paint job, there are no other indetifyng stamps other than the frame number and both rear dropouts are stamped Raleigh, their are no stamps on the front dropouts which I'm not bothered about to much as my Optima lite doesn't have any either.

The person I bought it from said it was loaded with Campagnolo bits which he has used on something else, it does still have a Campag mirage BB and cable guides for brifters, the brake mounts take allen key style brake and it has a 27.2 seat post.

Now the sort of good news, I have weighed it and it comes in at 3.1kgs(6.8lbs in old money) with forks and BB, which makes it 150 grams heavier than the Raleigh 531c race frame I bought last week, so the question now is, is it in the 531c window or just 531 or something else altogether?

Just to add, I found stamped on the top tube/head tube lug 73A which I assume gives a rake of 73 degrees, so it's definitely not, a find.

I am starting to think it's a 531 main triangle with some gas pipe rear stays, hmmmm!

Thoughts please

That looks a bit like the Raleigh frame I've got in the garage, I bought it on a whim but found a small crease under the diwn tube like it had been front ended so its sulking ....

Shaun

Midlife":kszzp3ub said:
That looks a bit like the Raleigh frame I've got in the garage, I bought it on a whim but found a small crease under the diwn tube like it had been front ended so its sulking ....

Shaun

All the 91 non Dyna Tech bikes had similar paint schemes!

The seat stay caps look to small on that Volant, and i'm wondering why someone would go to all the trouble of a crap bare metal respray and put he Raleigh and shop stickers back on, I could maybe see someone putting a 531c sticker on if you a frame wanabee(dick), can you even buy the product of Raleigh stickers?

spitball":2ju2nvn7 said:
The seat stay caps look to small on that Volant, and i'm wondering why someone would go to all the trouble of a crap bare metal respray and put he Raleigh and shop stickers back on, I could maybe see someone putting a 531c sticker on if you a frame wanabee(dick), can you even buy the product of Raleigh stickers?

Remember, this was Raleigh, and anything could happen between the pre production pictures in the brochure and the real deal..

The Raleigh stamped drop outs point at it being something of this era, and also the fact that you think it is only 531 on the main tubes.

The product of Raleigh decal could probably be bought back in the day, in fact I think it was included in replacement decals pack if you ordered them.

The frame number (I think) puts it post 1990, and it could be that someone substituted a 531c decal for what would have been an original 531 one.

What is the decal on the bottom of the down tube btw?

As it had according to the previous owner a campag mirage group, I was thinking 90s as opposed to 80s, the sticker on the downtube is je james cycles who I am going to call tomorrow to see if they may have any record of the bike.

To the best of my knowledge, nothing came out of Nottingham with Campag groupsets much after the early/mid 80's, as they favoured Shimano..

The brazed on cable guides suggest early 90's (given their location) as by around 92 they had gone internal routing.

The lack of a W frame number rules out anything prior to 1989

As a matter of interest, what does the cable guide look like under the BB?

Update - lack of pump peg on 91 Volant rules this out..

The oldest bikes I can see with the pump peg are 1989 (Road Ace Select, Elix, Delta, Strada etc)

Curious

Back