Raleigh Equipe rebuild

Ghosty":220hf97t said:
I'll never touch a hi-tensile steel road bike as compared to what I've experienced I'd just be wasting money.
If it's just a hi-ten steel bike then I really wouldn't throw anything at it past elbow grease - it's just not worth it to me. I'd be tempted to say the same about 501, actually, it's nowhere near as good as 531.
Happy riding!

The difference between 531 and 501 is that the latter weighs 225g more and can withstand welding. That's 0.035 of a stone. I think it's more likely you just didn't like the bike.

This Equipe will be hi-ten, but that's not a problem 'cept for weight weenies. I like the colour.

Maca":134ei2y2 said:
Whats wrong with the badge you have put up or is that not from this bike ? If it is then it looks ok to me (better nic than the ebay one)

I think you'll find it it's just a pic he's found of one ..

Maca, The pins on the back of my badge broke off when I removed it. I wanted to get a new one with pins on, but saw that the other one on ebay has double sided tape...so I will do the same and re-use mine!

Ah I see, did you take it off from the front then ? Rather than knocking the heads of those pins off from the inside ?

I find that a couple of small drops of araldite works really well, if you have any of the pins left that will locate it other wise just get as close as you can.

GunterP":14xv07kt said:
Maca, The pins on the back of my badge broke off when I removed it. I wanted to get a new one with pins on, but saw that the other one on ebay has double sided tape...so I will do the same and re-use mine!

No big deal then eh! and double sided tape is okay provided it's decent quality otherwise it won't stay on long due to the weather ..

Bats":26w11ch6 said:
The difference between 531 and 501 is that the latter weighs 225g more and can withstand welding. That's 0.035 of a stone. I think it's more likely you just didn't like the bike.

Hm, that's interesting. From what I'd heard 501 wasn't all that.

Lots of people heard that, and that's why it's cheap second hand. People used to think earth was flat an'all.

Muddy paw":1benz5ct said:
GunterP":1benz5ct said:

No big deal then eh! and double sided tape is okay provided it's decent quality otherwise it won't stay on long due to the weather ..

The 3M tape you get nowadays is awesome, they use it to stick road signs up with. Best to use VHB, (very high bond) and you will struggle to get it off again :)

I've never used 3m tape myself but i do know it's highly rated so i'd agree it's well worth using ..

Re

Good luck with the refurb on the Equipe. I did a fair bit of work on an identical model (that's an understatement!). It eventually ended up as my touring bike and I can't tell you how much I've spent on it. Here's how it looked initially, after its first reincarnation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/63wicsjgtq0pj ... 4.jpg?dl=0
and here's how it looked in action in France thus summer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/omb1fth7wjw00 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
It was the first bike I'd revamped but it led to various other projects. It's a slippery slope into the Retrobike money pit because there's always somebody on here that's selling that nice bit of bling....hahaha.

Back