Raleigh Elan 1990 purple within freckle spots

Anselm

Retro Newbie
Evening all
I need some help please I have a 1990 Raleigh Elan mint condition
Looking at the rear chain stay the rear stay has a support bar going across from one stay to the other on most bike's
My Raleigh Elan has the support bar going from one stay an does not go to the opposite stay just sticks out
Question is is that how it supposed to be
Surely if this was not the case it shouldn't had passed quality control?
Truly the bike is mint
Please can you put my mind at ease
Thanks
Charles

Mudguard mount. I can only contribute guess work but I guess on some frames it is/was a structural part and on others where it’s not structural a stub is added for the mounting of a mudguard.

In the late 80s Raleigh started producing some of their bikes with the chainstay bridge attached only on one side. Like as has been said, it served as a mudguard mount.
To my mind, they may as well have attached it both sides, therefore improving stiffness and asethetics. Not sure if it was a cost saving idea, or attempting to give brand identity

20220227_161138.jpg
Mudguard mount. I can only contribute guess work but I guess on some frames it is/was a structural part and on others where it’s not structural a stub is added for the mounting of a mudguard.
Morning thank you for your response
You could well be right
I've looked at some other Raleigh Elan photos of bikes been advertised
It looks like the rear mudguard mounting joins onto both stays
I've have contacted Raleigh UK technical department this morning to see if this a design is correct or faulty
Awaiting a call back from Raleigh UK
I will let you know the outcome
Thank you for your input much

Attachments

• 16460014654954443141264185667929.jpg
    16460014654954443141264185667929.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 2
In the late 80s Raleigh started producing some of their bikes with the chainstay bridge attached only on one side. Like as has been said, it served as a mudguard mount.
To my mind, they may as well have attached it both sides, therefore improving stiffness and asethetics. Not sure if it was a cost saving idea, or attempting to give brand identity
Morning thank you very much for replying to my question
You could well be right
I have contacted Raleigh UK technical support team Awaiting a call back just to confirm
It makes sense what you said being structural improving stiffness
It just doesn't look right
Still I keep you posted if Raleigh UK get back to me
It's a great bike mint
Thank you

I am happy to confirm that is how Raleigh did them at the time. It is the same on my Raleigh titanium and Cro mo mtb frame. In fact it was the feature that clinched it for me to take a punt on a rattle canned frame on eBay!

20210918_121658.jpg 20210918_121658.jpg
I am happy to confirm that is how Raleigh did them at the time. It is the same on my Raleigh titanium and Cro mo mtb frame. In fact it was the feature that clinched it for me to take a punt on a rattle canned frame on eBay!
What a relief
Thank you gentlemen
I thought I had a doggy frame
Raleigh UK technical department still haven't got back to me
You all have put my mind at ease
I so do love the bike
My first bike was a Raleigh Calton
My Dad made me save up for it to teach me the value of money
I'm now 67 years old an still abide by it
I have four bikes that I have saved an love them all to bits
Raleigh mirage
Raleigh elan
Ridgeback 605s
Dawes galaxy touring
Thanks
Happy safe riding

Attachments

• 20210918_113029.jpg
    20210918_113029.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes agree with the replies on here; I had one of these bikes and I am 99% certain the frame was like this, for the fitting of mudguards.
This actual model in fact has a very special place in my bike heart as it was the first bike I ever had; got it in September 1993, it was on offer for £200 (normal price was £300) so I think mine must have been one of the last; it must have been the last year it was sold. Your pictures bring back some nice memories for me :)

Thank you for your reply
I purchased the bike four years ago from an add on Facebook market place
It is a minter
Looks like they purchased it an Sat in a garage for 30 year's
I love it unfortunately I can't ride a bike for few months just had a herina operation 3 months ago still very tender in the groan area
Can't wait till back in the saddle again
From London

Back