Raleigh Dyna-Tech Voyager

Gtpulse

Dyna-Tech Fan
I’ve spent last night and this morning in a state of excitement and anticipation of going to collect this bike. I fully expected to get the “buyer cancelled the sale” type email from eBay as it was a great price for a great bike. It’s happened to me a few times before, this being probably the best bike I’ve bought for a long time. Seller turned out to be a great chap, as soon as I had spoken to him on the phone I could tell the deal would be solid!
I’ve wanted both a Campagnolo equipped MTB and a decent Dyna-Tech for some time so this ticks both boxes.
The bike appears to be mostly original down to the brake blocks and tyres (albeit the tyres aren’t up for a long ride), with the exception of the saddle (came with one of those comfy big bum type jobs have swapped for an old Flite for now) and is missing the Campagnolo shifters/brake levers which have been replaced by early Deore XT, they work but will have to go.
The photos are as I got it, after a clean down with G101, removal of pump peg thingies and reflectors then a quick wd-40 shine, all in all 15 minutes of work.
I plan to keep original, find some shifters/levers - if anyone has the correct ones please let me know - Campagnolo Olympus from the catalogue, I’m also looking for 1 pedal dust cap and the crank bolt caps. I do have some Icarus 8 speed bar end shifters I’ve briefly thought about seeing if they can be converted to thumbies.
The seat post has all of the black rubbed off - can anyone recommend how best to sort this - I’m assuming it’s anodised?
21511417-A629-46BC-8B52-2E813359CC12.jpeg E1734B56-17D4-4E23-BFB3-D4929EBDA44E.jpeg 050FAB72-BABF-446B-868E-E8D5376F8869.jpeg B2E782A6-2D7B-4390-BC2B-AE67C5C91B9F.jpeg A88F67CB-FC63-4711-9FAE-9931B37C9E59.jpeg 2C864551-B0BA-4F1E-9236-CD4A6F296688.jpeg 07BED1F0-D6A7-41E1-B7AA-4F032810B16E.jpeg 0224CB40-9E40-46AE-92BB-9AB535E79FF0.jpeg ED513A85-873D-4819-AB53-18ECC1D75BF4.jpeg

Not sure what is better...the bike or the very large garden👍.
Lol thanks, the bike is down to Raleigh but for the garden I can claim full credit (apart from the design, my wife did that), a labour of love over the last few years when we could afford to do it bit by bit, I’ve genuinely dug every shovel, moved every barrow of soil/sand/cement, set every stone and laid every roll of turf, other than 2 days help all on my own, though I do now have a hernia in return!

Have been working on sorting out some of the bits on this that weren’t quite right…..
Removed the Deore XT brifters and replaced with the correct Campagnolo bullet shifters and appropriate brake levers.
A couple of issues here - for me they were a complete pain to set up but once I had worked it out I would be able to do it again easily. It remains to be seen how well they perform when actually ridden. Second issue was the brake levers were missing half of a barrel adjuster. I hadn’t noticed this when I bought them as some crafty bugger/clever bodger (delete as appropriate!) had cut half of the adjuster ring off so the partly snapped off thread of the barrel would still screw in. I couldn’t live with this so set about finding another - as I’m sure most of us know finding this sort of part on it’s own can be near impossible sometimes so for now I’ve replaced with a similar looking pair from some old broken Deore LX brifters - not quite as elegant as the Campag ones but you wouldn’t notice unless being really picky! 767BB10F-0727-4B1A-87AF-4E9842E397DD.jpeg

Last edited:
The seat post I’m really not sure what to do with, it came very scratched with most of the anodising removed. For now I’ve tidied it up and used some aluminium black but it’s not right, I suspect due to it not being the correct aluminium alloy for this product to work effectively. Painting it not really an option as would increase the diameter too much. AF149601-89DF-4862-92F8-D2AE1A3C6998.jpeg

Last edited:
I managed to find the dust caps for the cranks. Still missing one for the pedals so if anyone has a spare or a broken set of pedals! I’ve seen some on eBay but will work out about £40 to buy a pair in order to replace just one.

Also found a Vetta Turbo saddle which is much closer to the original than the Flite I had put on there.
Overall really pleased with this, it’s not perfect and nor will it ever be, for me there’s a certain charm about a mostly original survivor. BC167B5C-A41E-437F-84C1-7787D8790DA0.jpeg E71D1235-BEFC-4747-9972-D1049AAB87AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks great! Good starting point improved massively by the Vetta saddle. Slightly 'larger' saddle designs seem to work well on Dynatechs.

Just bought a pair of Campagnolo crank caps for my Endeavour #2 build.
If someone had told me a couple of years ago that I'd have to pay £25 for a pair....I'd have told them they were having a laugh.
Unfortunately OCD when it comes to doing builds does now mean that if you want them...these are the prices you're going to have to pay. Campagnolo is crazy money at the moment.

Anyway...lovely build. It's one of the '91 line up I Don't have in my collection. The metallic burgundy is a lovely colour...I only have the spare forks to judge this by!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
I loved my old Dyna Tech MTB but unfortunately it became unglued in a rather spectacular fashion at the bottom bracket, Shame as I really enjoyed that bike.

Back