Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Here's a question for those well versed in the history of the Raleigh Dynatech - how many Dynatech Decade frames were ever built?
Any idea?

Re:

Surely many more than 10 which the name suggests!

Loved that video.... always fancied a dynatech!

Had a dynatech 1000 years ago but sold it without restoring as I was moving house and needed a cull.

Re: Re:

prezza":3an1gjpv said:
Surely many more than 10 which the name suggests!

Loved that video.... always fancied a dynatech!

Had a dynatech 1000 years ago but sold it without restoring as I was moving house and needed a cull.
1000 years ago? That was 46 years before William landed at Hastings

Haha!!!

Punctuation alert!
Read it back and laughed out loud.... being Halloween i must have let my guard down and revealed my true vampire identity!
Haha....

Had a Raleigh Dynatech 1000, years ago! Hahahaha

prezza":2gwc8ry5 said:
Haha!!!

Punctuation alert!
Read it back and laughed out loud.... being Halloween i must have let my guard down and revealed my true vampire identity!
Haha....

Had a Raleigh Dynatech 1000, years ago! Hahahaha
Aha!!! So the undead stalk the mountain bike realm too? You made
Me start looking for some Dracula quotes - best I could cone up with is ‘for the dead travel fast’.

Re: dynatech mt-5 upgrade advice

hi guys,

this is my first post here and I'm hoping for some advice!!

Essentially I have a Raleigh Dynatech Mt-5 that I've owned from new since 1996 and I believe its a 1994 frame from what I can remember. I use it as my main bike and I love it!! Ive done over 200km on it this year alone...

The only problem is pretty much everything on it is from the late 90's - early 2000's and I'm starting to need to upgrade some bits (Well I should have done it ages ago...), but my bike tech knowledge has faded through the years.

currently it has an original set of rock Shox Indy SL forks on the front with a Rond headset. These bits are both super old and I really want to replace them!!

I believe the frame takes a 1 /18 headset from looking on here, but was hoping for some advice on what I can replace them with, I found a Shimano Xt HP-M736 threaded headset on Ebay for a good price, but should I be looking for something more modern and versatile than that (that maybe isn't threaded as well)??

on the forks front I am totally lost, I'd like to stay with suspension forks, but has anyone got any advice on what to look for, I am runing v-brakes currently and think I'd have to stay with those as I have combined xt gear shifter and brake levers.

any advise on what I should do would be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 393
Re: dynatech mt-5 upgrade advice

Gidz":3hl3tkhc said:
hi guys,

this is my first post here and I'm hoping for some advice!!

Essentially I have a Raleigh Dynatech Mt-5 that I've owned from new since 1996 and I believe its a 1994 frame from what I can remember. I use it as my main bike and I love it!! Ive done over 200km on it this year alone...

The only problem is pretty much everything on it is from the late 90's - early 2000's and I'm starting to need to upgrade some bits (Well I should have done it ages ago...), but my bike tech knowledge has faded through the years.

currently it has an original set of rock Shox Indy SL forks on the front with a Rond headset. These bits are both super old and I really want to replace them!!

I believe the frame takes a 1 /18 headset from looking on here, but was hoping for some advice on what I can replace them with, I found a Shimano Xt HP-M736 threaded headset on Ebay for a good price, but should I be looking for something more modern and versatile than that (that maybe isn't threaded as well)??

on the forks front I am totally lost, I'd like to stay with suspension forks, but has anyone got any advice on what to look for, I am runing v-brakes currently and think I'd have to stay with those as I have combined xt gear shifter and brake levers.

any advise on what I should do would be much appreciated!!

Love the MT5!
Forks wise, I'd look at some original Pace RC30.

If you look at my signature, you'll see my MT4 and Dynatech Decade. for the MT4 I used USE Ti for the seatpost, bar ends. Suntour XC Pro for the other stuff with some modern bits (The Paul Brakes/levers) with Pace RC30.
I'd run cantilevers rather than V brakes.

My Decade is the same MT5 frame - mix of Sachs New Success and Campagnolo Euclid/OR.

Most of this stuff should be pretty much in period with your bike.

If you want front suspension I'd say Rock Shox Mags - but I'm not sure about the age of your frame - I believe it's 1993.

Headset wise, a Mavic 316 - I can't think of anything as nice as this. Has to be threaded with a quill stem!

BUT It all depends on whether you want modern or <1993. I'm just mentioning stuff I like and am used to as being around that period - other's will differ.

Re:

oh wow, that's some great stuff for me to have a look into, thanks!!!

if I do end up going down a more modern route are there any options you could advise? I'm mainly doing long distance cross country type rides across gravel, muddy tracks, essentially anything that allows me to avoid too much road cycling at distances upto 100km.

Re: Re:

Gidz":3srzhdx8 said:
oh wow, that's some great stuff for me to have a look into, thanks!!!

if I do end up going down a more modern route are there any options you could advise? I'm mainly doing long distance cross country type rides across gravel, muddy tracks, essentially anything that allows me to avoid too much road cycling at distances upto 100km.
I’ll be the wrong person to ask about modern stuff
The early 90’s XT groupset is industrial strength strong and far more reliable than modern stuff

Look at the Yates expedition bike set up here :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=337508&start=30

He has the full spec on the next page - components would be around the period of your MT5 and really strong and reliable. Not sure about weight. But covering thousands of miles it has to be super reliable and strong

Back