Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

It was pretty easy for them to do, the paint shop was next door (almost) to the frame shop and not far from where they assembled the bikes.

These days, the build shop and the paint shop might be next door to each other, but they are both several thousand kilometres from where the warranty department sits, and might take 4 months to arrive.

(I've had a few frames go through the paint shop more than once)

mattr":2jyyeo4c said:
It was pretty easy for them to do, the paint shop was next door (almost) to the frame shop and not far from where they assembled the bikes.

These days, the build shop and the paint shop might be next door to each other, but they are both several thousand kilometres from where the warranty department sits, and might take 4 months to arrive.

(I've had a few frames go through the paint shop more than once)

Ahh cool, I guess Mattr - you are ex-raleigh staff? I live about 3 miles up the road from their old site here in Nottingham. Had the pleasure of meeting Mr Perkins about 2 weeks ago to talk all things Raleigh. Gutted its all gone as I'd love a photo of my bike collection infront of their old factory...

No, ex team rider. On the factory team from 98 to when they pulled the funding.
Used to live in Derby so popped over fairly regularly for various bits and pieces.

Reactions: MOB
Anyone know what a Dynatech Torus frame is worth these days? I sense the retro community is reducing, along with the prices of higher end items.

mattr":31vha2fe said:
No, ex team rider. On the factory team from 98 to when they pulled the funding.
Used to live in Derby so popped over fairly regularly for various bits and pieces.

This is what I love about Retrobike, we get to rub shoulders with team riders and the people who designed and built the bikes.

What was it like riding on the factory team?

ultrazenith":38o2bs8l said:
Anyone know what a Dynatech Torus frame is worth these days? I sense the retro community is reducing, along with the prices of higher end items.

I bought one recently as a frameset but paid top whack with the Trimnell fork as it was very good condition. All depends on condition I guess, and colour. For bare frame I'd say £150-£250 depending condition, feel free fellow Retro riders to chip in if you think I'm miles out?

Tom

TOMAS":69n6u195 said:
I've got a Sentinel waiting for me to collect later this month, green one, can't wait to add it to the ever growing collection :)

You need to get yourself a lightweight 531 bike really and a Technium just so you can round out the collection ;)

Carl.

drcarlos":92s87n5g said:
TOMAS":92s87n5g said:
I've got a Sentinel waiting for me to collect later this month, green one, can't wait to add it to the ever growing collection :)

You need to get yourself a lightweight 531 bike really and a Technium just so you can round out the collection ;)

Carl.

Grabbed a 501 framed stock DUNE DANCER and K2 Cromoly Ravine last week in addition to the Sentinel, they didnt cost me a lot and not sure if i'm keeping them as they are both 19" and a tad too big for me.

Carl, without me having to trawl through the catalogue, which models were in 531 besides your Team Edition that I see you have?

TOMAS":24yojsaf said:
drcarlos":24yojsaf said:
TOMAS":24yojsaf said:

Carl.

Grabbed a 501 framed stock DUNE DANCER and K2 Cromoly Ravine last week in addition to the Sentinel, they didnt cost me a lot and not sure if i'm keeping them as they are both 19" and a tad too big for me.

Carl, without me having to trawl through the catalogue, which models were in 531 besides your Team Edition that I see you have?

There were a few, starting with the base chinook, blue ridge and Cajun, then the ozark and thunder road, followed by the Appalachian and moonshine and finally the avanti and 653 framed white lightnin’

Carl

ultrazenith":rp4p7kww said:
What was it like riding on the factory team?
Was quite good actually, a cheap way to race and get round the country, got amazing deals on parts/frames/bikes then a pile of free race kit, then massively discounted stuff if we wanted more.
Also meant we got to rub shoulders with the pro team riders when we were at the same events, and if the mechanics weren't too busy, we got a little support with spannering/tools and the odds and sods you break at a race weekend. Also had a sort of informal HQ at the raleigh race truck at things like the national series.

Even had one star struck kid asking for Nick Craigs and Barrie Clarks autograph on his raleigh and DBR posters at one event, then looked at me and asked me for mine as well, most embarrassing.......

Also gave me a chance to develop as a rider, pre-riding courses with a group of riders with massively differing skill levels.

Back