Raleigh Dyna-Tech 853 (with some *modern bits)

Sadly, the old Raleigh frame numbering system stopped in 1990, and since then I don't think there is any way of dating a particular frame, unless someone else has one and knows when it was purchased etc.

The bike you refer to, G38116, is this the same one pictured in your original post, or another one?

Re: update

Now fitted with 105 compact crankset and shifters ready for the Alps thus summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 634
Re:

hi, does anyone know any Dyna-Tech racing team riders or dealers? just a shot at finding out some more info about the bikes.

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread. Theres really not much to say about your frame, there were dozens and dozens of them kicking around. The only "special" thing about it is that it was bought as a frame and may have been custom built. The single colour gives that away. Compete bikes were (in that era) usually quite flamboyantly painted. (Not always tho) my frame only started off green, then was repainted in the flames colour scheme that the r600/r700 bikes were provided in.

There were a few teams riding these bikes, raleigh pro, raleigh factory racing, stilton rt are three i know of. They all had r600 or r700s tho.

Thank you for positive comments mattr (The only "special" thing about it is that it was bought as a frame and may have been custom built.)
I know it don't own a particularly rare Italian or super rare Team TDF bike, however it is quality frame and as we cannot find any info about the Dyna-Tech road racing team it does become a bit of a mystery.

The teams you mentioned all had 600/700 as you stated and never 853/753/531/501?

I have copied your post into another one genuinely asking for info in the road forum, i am sorry to bother you with my frame, you had enough to say about it already with no actual information.

Regards.

By the time i got involved the model names of the top end bikes were r600 and r700, pretty sure the tubesets were 853, 853 millennium, 853 aero and titanium, depending on model and model year. There were lower spec models in 531 and 501 i think, but wasn't particularly interested in that spec of bike! Not sure if raleigh were even still making 753 by then!

IIRC the 853 raleigh RSP/dynatech that you have became the first r600. 853 with round tubes. I have a very similar one. Initially sold to me as a frameset, logos showing raleigh RSP, so probably a little newer than yours. Dynatech had gone by then. Was later resprayed in r700 colours when i started riding for them.

Not even sure if there was a dynatech team, just raleigh but riding dynatechs. Much like raleigh rode m-trax earlier. And the torus as well. But i have seen a few dynatech jerseys about, so there may have been some team presence but possibly pretty low key, you'd have to speak to someone on the inside though to get chapter and verse! One of the Coltmans would know, don't know if they are on here (but they are on the Facebook page for retro raleigh stuff)

Re:

Italian bikes are as common as fox's piss on websites, and generally the only info on Raleigh bikes is for Worksop and Ikeston models or MTB's

I seriously cannot find anything, no information not photographs of mid to late 90ies Raleigh RSP Road Racing bikes at all let alone 853 ones.

I know Barrie Clarke won a CX on a Raleigh RSP frame but i doubt that was 853 and I can't find any pictures.
I'm not sure they raced as Dynatech in 1996 onwards - are the Dynatech decals original?

I am a lover of British made Raleigh bikes and I'm not and never will be in Facebook so doubt I'll see te Raleigh team group.

And FWIW the bike that my 853 replaced was a full on ex pro Scapin frame and fork bought from a friend of mine. Had done a fair bit in Europe, stage races etc.

TBH the raleigh was better in every way. Except it was about half a pound heavier.

Back