Raleigh Amazon

Well, V-brakes work best with V-Brake levers. Cantis work best with canti levers. V-Brakes are always better performing than cantis. But the question is: Is it worth the hassle? From an enthusiast point of view that is a no. Vbrake on that kind of frame is't looking good and isn't period correct. Economically, that's a no, too.
But if you drive that bike a lot, and want to do some semi serious downhill driving, the v-brakes might be the better option. Or even a set of used Maguras. :D

Re:

Thank you that helps alot, I do alot of cycling to and from work my commute is downhill I think I will look in to the Maguras what ones would you recommend?

Congrats on your new bike justin98. It's a steel Raleigh, so the frame and forks will work well and components should be simple and rugged enough to last almost as long as the f&f - which is almost indefinitely. On a two minute test ride a slightly more fashionable (and several times more expensive) old ATB might feel superior, in the real world as the miles and luggage pile on, a Nottingham built Raleigh will usually more than equal others. I love their unpretentious feel, it's an increasingly rare attribute.

Thias":2qp19ven said:
V-Brakes are always better performing than cantis. But the question is: Is it worth the hassle? From an enthusiast point of view that is a no. Vbrake on that kind of frame is't looking good
I agree sidepull cantis/v brakes can often look wrong, but to say they're always better performing is just not true. They're cheaper to make to a standard which works as well (on a new bike) and less easy for someone with an allen key to mess up.

Both variants have their weak points, the trad variety needs someone with a modicum of basic practical understanding (which not so long ago was nearly universal within the cycling fraternity) to set up and adjust, while sidepull ones cause clearance problems through muddy ground, are generally less easy to 'feather' (which on slippery surfaces can cause bother) and are less tolerant of rims which aren't perfectly true and smooth.

I'd choose the older-design cantilevers every time, they're just as powerful when set up correctly, to my hands always offer better feel and usually offer better control of the braking. Additionally the feel and controlability is adjustable (within seconds), unlike sidepulls which offer only one setting for a given handlebar and business-end lever.

Re:

Thank you it's a great bike rides like a new bike it's my daily commuter I prefer it better than my modern bike it's more enjoyable and looks better than modern Raleigh's latest update I've changed the original tyres it's now running 26x2.10 road tyres and obviously lock on grips it's getting there slowly

Re:

Forgot to add image to my previous post here's what it looks like now new tyres and grips

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20200131_122531.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20200131_122531.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 321
Re:

Morning all picked this bike up yesterday as a parts bike for the Raleigh Amazon has the shimano alivio group set and revoshift gears 21 speed, would anyone know if the suspension would fit the Raleigh??

Attachments

• result.jpg
    result.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 301
  • result (1).jpg
    result (1).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 301
Back