Quick 'divers helmet' gear cable stop ferrule question

It depends on the design of the stop, here's a couple from CeeWay of differing designs. items 151 / 152 :)

018_BRAZONS_GUIDES2003.gif

Shaun

As said, there's a stepped ferrule that goes in there. Those SJS Cycles ones look like the job.

Those SJS cycles ferrules look perfect, are the devils own to find as never come with modern cable sets,drf needed for divers braze ons, without a cap at that end casing will compress and shifting will never be right, most old frame had the divers there on the stay then industry went to the bigger{longer}braze on that could take a plain end cap

I thought that the 152 didn't use a ferrule as it already acts as a cable stop and for sis cable this one usually mounted on top of the chain stay the 151 use's the 3.8mm step down usually mounted underneath the chain stay or am I confused which maybe the case.

Point taken relooking and rereading your first post{helps} you're right it looks like a normal stop but diver shaped, still stand by my shifting comment if casing is loose in the stop would say it needs a normal plain cap over the end

Re:

In this case we are dealing with an example of items 152 on the ceeway catalogue. The item 151 looks like it would take the step down-type ferrule that is supplied with the Campag kit (the narrower part being approx. 3mm across and would therefore project through the smaller hole).

I don't think the SJS ones will work as they are for 5mm cable outer and therefore immediately too big as gear cable outer is only just a tad over 4mm. Unfortunately, I only realised this after I had bought some, let me know if you want them!

I've decided to cap the end of the outer and then use the zip tie method mentioned above. The benefits being that the cable end is capped so it won't deform, and it was quick and easy to do. Looks OK and works very well!

Despite being a bit bashed, I am developing an affection for my Columbus Nemo frame (especially as it has built up a shade over 16.5lbs complete with pedals). If the feeling continues then come respray time this frame stop silliness can easily be resolved!

Thanks again for all help and suggestions. Looks like there is a market, admittedly as small one, for someone to market the solution to this feral ferrule teaser!

Re:

The problem is that there were / are a lot of makers of diver's helmet gear cable stops and consequently, no real "standard" for internal diameter. They are normally around 4 mm / 3/16"

Additionally it might have been drilled out, or otherwise butchered at some point, either pre- or post-frame-build, for some reason. Some stops are a simple cup (but not judging by the images you provide, in your case ...)

You'd definitely be well advised to fit a ferrule for the simple reason that longitudinal compression on gear outer tends to cause the strands to migrate out of the ends of the sheath - and this will eventually happen in the situation you have pictured as well. This will definitely give you a problem with the indexing as well as being unsightly.

If you can measure the ID of the cable stop drilling (even by inserting the tail of various-sized drills, for instance, as go - no-go guages) we might be able to help with a ferrule ... various different ones here ...

Sorry didn't see GFK's last post,sorry for being a numpty here, if you had narrower outer casing I could take an older narrower end cap to fit measurements{intternal}you've quoted? If so it's the problem I had with my Gios I ended up getting a narrow step down ferrule from Compass cycles in the States it was I think listed as a ' Huret type' but they said it was perfect for these applications, would the earlier link to the Fiets site and the Campag casing shown there be correct?

Apologies its Boulder cycles that has NOS bits n bobs, Compass does new components many of which are compatible with 'retro' frames

Latest posts

Back