Queueing etiquette

If you think its bad here, go to eastern europe, not surprising since Q does not exist in their alphabets.

66 triumph daytona":3hov79yk said:
Anyone that insists on meticulously packing their stuff at the till in Aldi/Lidl instead of at the packing area provided.

I have never seen a packing area in any Lidl I've been in... (though in any case I always load the checkout conveyor in a reasonably logical manner and do the packing into bags at the car)

okay some might find all the etiquette here objectionable . . .

was in Aldi tonight, I mostly park there so we get free parking while the wife finished work . . . :oops:

wandered about to show willing and picked up a couple of Hobgoblin Gold for £1.25 a bottle :cool:

joined the mahooosive queue and watched the world go by . . . then I spottted they had instant light charcoal outside for £4 for 4 x 1kg bags . . got to the till and asked him to charge me for one so I could pick it up on the way out

Unfortunately - and its not my fault! - he had to close the till, go outside and get one, walk back with it, re-open the till to scan it (covering himself, the till and the counter in charcoal dust) and then I paid by card - feeling quite embarrased the whole time. . .

I dont think my queue was the biggest but it was close - it was most definitely the grumpiest :oops:

ajm":dgw6kg5t said:
66 triumph daytona":dgw6kg5t said:
Anyone that insists on meticulously packing their stuff at the till in Aldi/Lidl instead of at the packing area provided.

I have never seen a packing area in any Lidl I've been in... (though in any case I always load the checkout conveyor in a reasonably logical manner and do the packing into bags at the car)
All of the Aldi/Lidl Ive seen have packing shelves that could double as parking lots.Lots of space.The staff get bonuses on the amount of customers that go through,if they get x amount of dawdlers fiddling with their purse/packing at the till they are pulled for it at the end of the month.

In Inverness the long wide shelf at the window the bairns love to climb on is the 'packing' area. I used to use LIDL and ALDI through some sense of supporting the underdog, but now they airport terminal announcements for new tills opening and such I don't like the ambience in LIDL.

What is it with people and queuing these days? I bank with Barclays and they have a wee branch in Inverness with only a handful of tellers. Frequently I observe rude and aggressive customers acting like spoilt brats because they have to queue for a couple of minutes. Ridiculous. Do they expect the bank to hire a group of tellers to sit and wait to serve them during their lunch break?

The worst is the pubs.

Having had a skinful does not confer rights to priority over the polite and patient majority.

How about the reduced shelves in the supermarkets? My goodness, all the conventions regarding personal space are turned upside down.

..and how about those people in a traffic jam? You know the ones. They feel it necessary to sit there honking their horns. Then they get out as if the cause of the jam is some how going to require their investigation and interference.

The only time I lose my shit when queuing is when I have spent, say, ten minutes in a queue and eventually am getting seen, and the dolt in front of me answers the phone.

highlandsflyer":3doz4boy said:
Frequently I observe rude and aggressive customers acting like spoilt brats because they have to queue for a couple of minutes. Ridiculous. Do they expect the bank to hire a group of tellers to sit and wait to serve them during their lunch break?
No, but I do expect them to have appropriate numbers of staff available at peak times e.g. lunch. If that means tellers have lunch earlier or later to accommodate the customer I think that's reasonable.

I use all the main banks at times (not always as a customer as such) and Clydesdale are the worst for this. Old fashioned branches and not enough staff.

Old people and the jobless should be banned from banks and post offices at lunchtime.

Ffs unlike those that work, they have all day to visit those places so why clog the queueues at lunctime?

Back