Stolen bike?

coriordan

Dirt Disciple
Hi all, I dont know what the etiquette here for stolen bikes is, but I had mine stolen!

There are some photos of it here:
flickr / photos / 65473577@N08/5955636555/

(I cant post links as I am new here!)

You have to have seen it to believe it. I was gazing out of the window during one of my classes and I saw someone approach my bike, thinking he was going for the one the other side of the post, fiddled with my lock, pulled the chain out and was off before I knew what to do. Tried to run out after him, but he was gone.
Filed the police report but was so taken aback at the time I couldn't even remember what he looked like,

Anyway:
DATE:
TUES 19th JULY AT EXACTLY 1930hrs

STOLEN
Lilac/Silver Dawes Stratos Lightweight from 1980s ish
Shimano 105 wheels, Shimano Groupset, 14 speed.
Gear shifters on the diagonal bar.

IT HAS MOUNTAIN BIKE HANDLEBARS, in black, including silver barends pointing upwards.

It doesn't have the panniers any more.

It was stolen from RIGHT outside HSBC back, opposite Angel Tube station. I don't know if anyone was around there at lunch time, but its the one which was lying on its side, looking a bit forlorn (I picked it up when I had a break).

No other distinguishing features. This bike has mega sentimental value, although financial loss isn't so much.

I was wondering if any regulars here head to the flea market on Brick Lane, or has a good eye for good vintage roadies (this is a super light frame with mostly new parts) and if they saw it thinking "ooh that looks nice", so did some thief. It might be a fixie now or god knows what. From the way it was stolen, it was clearly someone who knew what they were doing.

Any thoughts, ideas or help to reunite her with her upset, loving owner greatly appreciated

Sorry to hear of your loss, I am local to Angel but currently work the week in Oxford. I'll keep my eyes open at the weekend though.

I was going to suggest Bricklane but you got there before me.

Hi, I made a thread. Depending on if it was a silly chav who thinks it's not worth anything as it's old (no offence) they might've dumped it somewhere or may still be riding it.
If it was a clever thief they may have it to sell on as they will want to make money from it.

It may get passed around and end up on ebay or in the hands of someone who has no clue.

Take a look as it's worth your best shot!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=158442[/url]

Hi mate,

Massively appreciated - I am following the links posted on the bikeradar forum at the moment, so have made all the right calls (I hope). Good thinking it being 'hot' so not up for sale yet. I have created a magic button for 'newly listed bicycles' so will be checking on a daily basis.

I think it is quite a good/retro/vintage one. It was locked (both wheels and frame) outside a bank, so only a VERY good thief would have picked it up (make it look like he wasn't stealing it on CCTV) and by someone who knew its value. It is also possible I had a crummy lock. :cry:

From what I have picked up since the theft, it must be a classic to bike thieves in the way most people can spot a nice vintage car.
It is a nice, light, vintage (large frame, thin tubes) size frame so could be turned into a vintage fixie for a profit at Brick Lane or something. (Dawes Stratos Lightweight 1990s). I am worried that if it is painted as part of the refit, its a gonner.

Also I annoyingly can't make it to Brick lane on Sunday to get 1st dibs on it!

Back