Questions regarding Chain Rings size to what Crank Arms size

Re: Questions regarding Chain Rings size to what Crank Arms

Of course you can buy them, but you need ~7 or 8mm ones ;-) I think the original look to be a bit thicker OD as well but would need to actually measure. But that is more expense. Oh and 16mm bolts.

I don't see how we can justify giving advice that standard five-arm compact-drive cranks are hard to find. And therefore you need to pay such a large amount for RF Turbines. That's nowhere near being true. e.g., all Shimano CD cranks from 94 to 96 were five-arm with BCD 94/58, such as XT M737. The last time I bought some M737 they were £25 if I recall.

The only thing you need to look at to see if your Specialites will fit is whether they are Shimano pattern - i.e., with the pin that prevents the chain getting caught under the crank arm located between two bolt holes. (Sugino pattern rings have the pin in line with a bolt hole) Note that the Turbine cranks you're looking at are Shimano pattern.

We_are_Stevo":116it532 said:
They do tend to fetch premium prices, but if that's what you want and you don't mind paying it then yes, it's a good price...:cool:

Cheers Stevo!
I'm going to keep a look out for some bargains, I think Polished ones look great!
it's no rush, so will shop around!

Any other suggestions for compact 94 cranks?

FluffyChicken":xixtu7yk said:
Turbine come in both the standard MTB 5 arm sizes
Have a quick pop into the archive and dig the catalogues out and GPO learn a little bit about them before you plunge on and buy.
They come in square and later in ISIS bottom bracket attachments.

You'll either need the version with the granny spacers built in or make sure it comes with them.

Will do Fluff, cheers!

Anthony":y1b39rin said:
I don't see how we can justify giving advice that standard five-arm compact-drive cranks are hard to find. And therefore you need to pay such a large amount for RF Turbines. That's nowhere near being true. e.g., all Shimano CD cranks from 94 to 96 were five-arm with BCD 94/58, such as XT M737. The last time I bought some M737 they were £25 if I recall.

The only thing you need to look at to see if your Specialites will fit is whether they are Shimano pattern - i.e., with the pin that prevents the chain getting caught under the crank arm located between two bolt holes. (Sugino pattern rings have the pin in line with a bolt hole) Note that the Turbine cranks you're looking at are Shimano pattern.

Thanks man, there is a Pin between two bolt holes!! :)

If you have any crank suggestions, please let me know, I do like the RF Turbines, but they're not very subtle, perhaps a bit 'hardcore' and fat for a skinny steel frame? Not sure, they do look the business though

Do let me know!

ibbz":11dtq75t said:
If you have any crank suggestions, please let me know, I do like the RF Turbines, but they're not very subtle, perhaps a bit 'hardcore' and fat for a skinny steel frame? Not sure, they do look the business though
Do let me know!

Attachments

• 1996 Shimano XT FC-M737.jpg
    1996 Shimano XT FC-M737.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 115

5-arm, 94/58:
White Industries (Sugino OEM).

Thanks guys will look

As mentioned there are loads, just about everyone made a version.
The RF turbines are mentioned because they where in the original post Anthony and linked to.

They'll look good on most bikes.
They are on three of mine. all in my signature if you are using the normal sit, not the mobile site. just click on the years.
should be able to get them for under 50 quid and cheaper sometimes.

Some TA chainrings have a removable pin that you can move to the Sugino/hidden arm version.

Back