Question for Saracen connoisseurs

JN23

Dirt Disciple
I have an opportunity to pick up a Saracen Hardtrax frameset locally in retro purple/lilac. The frame is made from 5098 series Tange MTB cromoly butted main tubes, which is a new one to me.

Any good? Worth investing in as a project?

Many thanks

Hardtrax started in the mid 90's from memory and was a lower model. Not worth investing in to make money but no reason it can't be a perfectly useable old bike if it's cheap enough.

Have a look at that. Looks like it was introduced in 1995 as the bottom of the range so the kit isn't very good but the frame could be alright.
Thanks for your advice, I'll take a look at the catalogues.

I would only be buying the frameset to make up a bike for everyday use using non-original parts, so no attempt to make any money.

One odd thing is that it has a loose bearing old style BB. I hadn't realised that manufacturers were still fitting them in the mid-90s as I'd assumed they'd all migrated to sealed cartridge types by then - unless it's not original of course.

Thanks
Starting to wonder whether parting with £50 or so for this frameset is such a good idea after all 😐

You should be able to get a complete bike of this standard for that to be honest mate. Put a wanted add on here and you'll be offered much better for the price.

Back