Question about my 1998 XT groupset

SpaceFlightOrange

Old School Hero
Hi.

This is my first post, hope you can help.

Way back in time (199:cool: I built a bike based on a 1997 GT Zaskar frame, 1998 Pace RC36evo forks, and an 1998 XT Groupset. I still have the bike, but its been laid up for quite a few years, so I've recently stripped it down to do a clean and rebuild.

I was just cleaning the cassette (M737) when i noticed that the lock ring mentions HyperGlide, but the chainset says IG chain only.

The crank is an FC-M739 with 22/32/42 IG-M rings

Where I'm confused is the cassette for 1998 was an M737-I but mine only says M737. However it does have an I stamped on the back of the largest cog.

Im struggling to remember but im sure i bought the chain set, cassette, bottom bracket and derailleurs as a job lot from Merlin Cycles

The bike has a Sachs PC-91 chain, still in good condition and not stretched.

Can you tell me Are all these compatible?

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_1731.jpg
    IMG_1731.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 227
IG chain will work with a HG cassette, but a HG chain won't (well won't work perfectly well) work with the crank. So long as you have an IG compatable chain, you should be good to go...

I think.

cut and paste from resilt of my 3sec google search:

5. Can I use an IG chain with a HG cassette?

All current HG cassette cogs are specifically profiled to be HG or IG chain compatible. Any Shimano IG chain will work with any current HG cassette. If you use a HG chain with a 7-speed IG cassette (CS-IG50 and CS-IG60) the rear derailleur adjustment becomes more critical. One significant compatibility issue is always avoid using a HG chain with an IG-only crank set. Why? The chain will release from the large (outer) chain rings too easily while in the large rear cog. It may be potentially dangerous if the chain drops off the outer ring without shifting the lever, under full power.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Im struggling to remember, its been so long, but I'm sure the PC91 is IG. a quick search brought up user reviews on MTBR.com, which suggest people have been using the PC91 as a replacement for the Shimano IG90, which may well be why I ended up with one, but i cant remember.

J.

Ah, just ride it, what the worst that could happen, it explodes and you die horribly, living on the edge like... I think if it was working before, it'll still be working now.

T'boo Ted":1zb9beti said:
I think if it was working before, it'll still be working now.

You are absolutely right. I dont recall having the issue you mention, but curiously a Google image search revealed a few images and instruction leaflets and looking at the carrier and the number of cogs on them, it looks like the one i have might actually be a 1996 cassette!

The 1997/98 seem to have 5 on the main block and mine has 4. Also the 1998 carrier design is different.

the Crank is a 97/98 because it was the new 4-arm polished design

Back