Question about KMC chains with "quick link".

Re:

FWIW, this is the correct OCD way to do it. It's what the second link alignment guide/locator (the one closer to the pin) on your chain tool is for. Personally, I think the 30-45 deg. recommended in the video is a bit aggressive for Hyperglide chains. YRMV.

This is how I was shown many years ago and I've always done it that way, but I notice quite a lot of chain tools don't have the second set of teeth, so you can't do it that way:

cyclepro-chain-tool.jpg

Re: Re:

xerxes":2afhjky1 said:
FWIW, this is the correct OCD way to do it. It's what the second link alignment guide/locator (the one closer to the pin) on your chain tool is for. Personally, I think the 30-45 deg. recommended in the video is a bit aggressive for Hyperglide chains. YRMV.

This is how I was shown many years ago and I've always done it that way, but I notice quite a lot of chain tools don't have the second set of teeth, so you can't do it that way:

cyclepro-chain-tool.jpg

I have a couple of chain tools and the oldest of the 2 has a second set of teeth but hadn't realised why but now it's explained thank you so i won't be replacing it with a a modern one ..

Re: Re:

FMJ":99xg7j2o said:
old_coyote_pedaller":99xg7j2o said:
I think what he means is holding the chain straight in your hands with the stiff pin/link in between your thumbs.

Kinda, but if you fold the chain with the stiff link up and twist, then repeat with the stiff link folded down. It works the plates apart in all directions.

I did wonder that you used fold and twist instead of bend/flex, thought it was just the difference in language use because of the separation of the Atlantic. :mrgreen:
I get what you are saying but the method I detailed works the plates in both directions too if you push with thumbs on one side then forefingers from other side. The chain links remain much closer to the actual way they are when chain is on rings/cassette and are pushed sideways by mechs. Probably less chance of actually twisting links than with your method.
It's not my method but one I saw in MTB mags 20 odd years ago and have seen elsewhere in bike maintenance sites on web.

It's a long time since I have used the 2nd set of teeth on a chaintool due to now joining chains with quick links.

Back