Purchasing on Retrobike

It all depends if you have bought/sold to that person before and ha no problems gift should be fine. Saying that if it was of anyy great value I would deffo pay fees.

So the gist of this is that it really depends on an amount of trust between the buyer and seller. I was just wondering what protection is available if bits do not arrive.

Also, if i have got this bit right - it is better to pay via PayPal 'for goods' and add the additional fee to the amount to be paid rather than gift it and pay the fee myself.

Eg Item costs £20 and i 'gift' the amount - the seller gets £20 and i pay a percentage OR Item costs £20 and i pay for goods to the value of £20 plus the fees and i have some protection with PayPal.

If the above is the case, the seller gets £20 each time, so why would they request 'gift'?

Thanks for all the replies, perhaps if one of the mods sees this they could cobble together an explanation in the appropriate section and we could get back to talking bikes!!

Things lost in the post should be covered by insurance not sure where pp stand on lost items, I think that providing the seller can prove he sent it they won't get involved. I always send items recorded because if it does not arrive I will swallow the cost and refund the buyer (which hurts my pocket) but I need to be sure they're not pulling a fast one.

If you pay by gift neither you or the seller pay any fees; you pay £20 he gets £20. If you pay extra 4% to cover fees it will cost you £22 and the seller will recieve £20, if the seller pays the fee he will get £18 and you pay £20.

I view some of the above as complicating things. If some one says PP thats what it costs. I can't see anyone saying PP please then asking for fees on top. You just build that into the price.
Anyone asking for gift is either dodgy.(rare I would say) or just not organised enough to add the fees up and put them in the price.
Now I would have 2 prices, 1 for PP if thats what you want and the other for cheque/bank transfer as they will be cheaper.
Its the money coming to me that matters. I don't mind what the buyer pays.

Back