Prototype Eddy Merckx frameset

matthew71":fg899nsc said:
what do you think it is made off ? I would guess Columbus EL oversize,but might be completely wrong.

and I like the bauer bike, just the job for knocking belgiums of as they come past in the sprint

Pity they didn't have them at 7-eleven then !
Downtube looks too big for EL . I had a Roberts BITD with an EL d/t ,and it was smaller diameter . Maybe MAX , but doesn't look extreme enough in the tube shapes , or Genius ?

Ha.. Just 'cause I can't tell the difference between Steve Bauer and Andy Hampsten, doesn't mean that I can't tell that this frame is 73deg./65deg., give or take a degree, always assuming SWijland's camera isn't astigmatic... Nice photos, BTW! ... :)

I took a picture this morning of the frame with some wheels in it:

12084448675_cc241e93ee_c.jpg

Thanks for the wheels..
Nowhere near as freakish as Mr. Bauer's mount!
Though it looks like it might have a fairly high bracket. Don't know about using that as an excuse for longer cranks, though.. Could be lots of front wheel overlap with the bracket that far forward anyway, plus the laid back seat-tube means you are bent in the middle a bit more, so your thighs could be pretty close to your torso at the top of the pedal stroke. Careful component selection needed to get comfy on that.

No matter how hard I try to imagine a way to make this frame work for me, in the end it just isn't right for me :cry: .

I must say looking at it with the wheels on it, it sure is an odd ball.

What I don't get is how this design was supposed to help in the spring classics / cobbles; was the idea to simply shift as much
weight off the handlebars - which beckons the question about sufficient front wheel traction?

Dropouts look the same as my EX, rest looks different..

The EX/AX models were made by Litespeed to Merckx Geo. Wonder if this is one of theirs as well?

Andy

Back