Proshift parts needed 28/05/09 check last post!!

Re: proshift

juiceboxx":243lxm2f said:
i have the same problem. i am getting one made right now. i will let you know how it turns out. cheers

PM sent, hopefully we can sort something out.

Right- managed to get one in from a shmano mech.. . . but not sure which one, as it was in a box of mech spares. . . Being that I'd only really kep XT up parts, I imagine its a M732. . . but can't be sure. The shim spring is square section, so the hole in the mech needed enlaring to 2.1mm., and because the spring finishes at a different relative angle, I had to re drill a new hole in the cageplate, 90 degrees counterclockwise from the original. . lots of faff in boxes of bits, it can be done. . . ;)

elite504":10go4k64 said:
Right- managed to get one in from a shmano mech..

Nice work Elite. I too have perfected my Shimano spring technique. I did not modify the Proshift like you did however and instead modified the spring itself.

I first measured the one original Proshift spring I had. I then cut down the Shimano spring until it was the same size leaving enough extra for the spring tang. I then marked where I needed to bend and then with two sets of needle nose pliers and a lot of swearing I bent the tang up. From there it was just a case of filing down the spring ends (which as you noticed were to big) until they fitted the holes.

NB: when doing this file the outside of the spring only as any filing on the inside causes a stress riser which means the tang will snap off.

Anyway with that all done the only thing left to do was make a spring stop which I did this lunchtime and I have to say it is a right pain in the arse. I hope never to do it again with a hand controlled milling machine, lathe and pillar drill. CNC all the way next time which will be never. :LOL:

I just need to find some circlips and I am done.

Back