Project No.5: Alpinestars cro-mega DX 1991

Update

Until today the only thing i'd been busy with on this bike is riding it.

3564407332_3105e83504_b.jpg

3564388738_60235bc2eb_o.jpg

NOS Goodness
But i've slowly been gathering a few parts, so today I decided to put fit them and see where this project is going. Old school Deore DX bits have been my focus. Luckerly one of my LBS's has a good stash of old bits and so i managed to pick up a fresh set of canti's and a seatpost. I can't fit the post at this time as I need to order a shim for it.

2009_0603astars0003.jpg

Manitou 2's
I've also managed to refurb the Manitou 2's. I've gone with firm elastomers, but after testing at Dalby I think some medium ones would benefit it. They certainly go well with the Answer stem, bar and bar ends.

2009_0603astars0008.jpg

2009_0603astars0017.jpg

Wheels
The wheels have been rebuilt with double butted spokes to freshen and lighten them up a little. I've also gently wet and dried the rims with 1200 grade paper. They have come up a treat and look brand new with NOS Michelin 'Hot Hi-Lite' kevlar tyres fitted. I really liked the look of the black tyres and rims that I previously fitted, so might go back down that path in future.

2009_0603astars0024.jpg

2009_0603astars0020.jpg

Groupset
It's always been my aim to restore the bike to Deore DX. It's a cool looking groupset and the only set that could go with a 'cro-mega DX'. Most of it has just has a good spit and polish, but i've also added some thumbies and brake levers (XT 2 figure ones for the eagle eyed amongst you) complete with Scott sticky fingers (proper early 90's bling!).

2009_0603astars0007.jpg

2009_0603astars0006.jpg

2009_0603astars0009.jpg

The Saddle Dilema
I've bought 3 saddles for this bike so far:-

- A black Flite Classic
- A Turbo-Matic 3
- A Avocet gelflow (as pictured)

The Avocet is the most correct in date and style and indeed Avocet's were fitted to alpinestars as standard in 1992. The flite is my favourite, as I just love flite saddles, but i'm not 100% sure that flites were around in 1991. The Turbo matic 3 is a nice feeling saddle, but is a little too young and probably the least stylish of the 3. Once i've managed to fit the DX seatpost i'll have a better idea of where i'm going with it, so will decide then.

2009_0603astars0013.jpg

Frame
The frame has remained the same. But, i've contacted Gil_m to try and get some repro decals produced to replace the damaged ones. Gil's busy with the UKSS championships at the moment but i'll get onto him in the next few weeks. I've replaced the headset with a fresh silver one, unfortunately I now need a 1 1/4" headset washer to finish it off. The seat clamp has also been replaced with by a silver one to match.

2009_0603astars0015.jpg

2009_0603astars0012.jpg

2009_0603astars0022.jpg

2009_0603astars0019.jpg

2009_0603astars0018.jpg

A few pics

2009_0603astars0035.jpg

2009_0603astars0036.jpg

2009_0603astars0005.jpg

2009_0603astars0016.jpg

Coming along nicely. The groupset is looking ideal. nice work on the wheels. Ya just need some purple trinkets on the rear now, maybe some purple skewers, if ya find 2 sets, get me some too! :D And then maybe some black lever covers.

was gonna say keep the skinwalls
but since seeing the blacks on it ,your right
as for front mech woes ,try spreading the cage plates a wee bit helped with mine till the mount broke now got a band clamp mech on it
love the purple tho
inspiring me to get my almega dx dug out the shed

dx grouppo definatley one of shimanos finest looking bits of kit

Excellent looking bike, I've always loved Alpinestars. Just a question why haven't you kept the original saddle? it didn't look in bad condition from the photos. If you're not using the original and it's in reasonable nick, I'd be interested if its looking for a home. :D as the one on mine is definitely dog eared to say the least! :oops:

Thanks for the kind words gents.

The saddle has been moved on to a fellow retrobiker looking to do a restoration on another alpinestars. Your quite right the condition wasn't too, just needed resticking, but it just wasn't to my taste. BITD it would of been the first thing replaced/upgraded by me.

As for progress, there isn't much to report. I'm still messing around without any clear direction of where i'm going with it. It now has the flite replaced and the tyres have been changed once more for a smoke/dart skinwall combo.

It rides really nicely with the Manitou 2's and has retained it's ability to climb well. It's certainly a head turner too.

Very nice example, I've been a bit late to have a look at this post :oops:

The flite is fine for a period build, I've an original example stamped 91 on the underside.. The Transalp and Alpes versions with cutaway sides arrived later :)

Back