Project No.5: Alpinestars cro-mega DX 1991

Hi Mark,

Looks supercool :cool: I would so love an Aplinestars one day ..... along with the dayglow Muddy fox, MBK, Explosif from every year and the list go's on !!

May I say it looks better with the black wall tyres ? I think it does, I would never have thought it but it does now I have seen it.

Has is shed much weight with the XTR ? This would be a nice bullet proof retro race bike that could take a good thrashing.

Top job as always :cool:

Cheers

Thanks gents, so pleased you appreciate the bike. It is incredibly pretty and I agree that the black wall tyre look great especially with being the 1.8" models.

As for weight it isn't a lightweight by any means. I'd estimate it to be around 27 lbs. So I think the XTR gear has made a good dent in it. I do like the old school alpinestars seatposts, bars and stems, unfortunately although marked up as 'megalite', they don't live up to their billing. The Answer stuff is far more easy on the eye and the scales and thats why I've gone with it.

I rode the bike for the first time this evening (in full old school alpinestars riding gear, naturally), two hours across the moors. I really enjoyed riding it despite having not gotten the gear set up quite right (front mech particularly). It rides great and is so much fun, i'd almost forgotten just how much fun, it wants to wheelie all the time and climbs like it has an engine. The downhills are a little twitchy but that just adds to the fun and personality of the bike.

Still contemplating the Manitou 2's, we'll see.

Back to yer roots, ready to ride is cool, rolling project, time to research and develop. Never realised they were so short, my modern play bike has criminally short stays at about 390mm, maybe it will handle some XC action after all. :D

I do think the Purple needs balancing out elsewhere on the bike if you are keeping it, somewhere there is a great compromise between a modest DX spec and some subtle trick bits, not sure how yet but its poss I'm sure
:cool:

LMK if Mag 21's tempt ya on this! :D

Good find, can't be many left in that condition. You should not have to worry about it breaking being a Cro Mega ;) Also like to echo some of the other comments on the bike - keep it original.

flyingwelshman":302n4ptj said:
Good find, can't be many left in that condition. You should not have to worry about it breaking being a Cro Mega ;) Also like to echo some of the other comments on the bike - keep it original.

Cheers Tim, really pleased with it and love riding it. All well and good keeping orginal (and I agree in terms of groupset), but the post, stem, saddle and bars don't hack it IMHO. Don't get me wrong I love the aesthetics of the alpinestars gear, but I enjoy riding them hard even more.

Drop us a line with regard to Gil's decals ;) .

If you are still looking for DX spec parts, I just purchased a complete 1992 Al-Mega DX and would be willing to part with anything that you need. I can send pictures of stuff if you like. Everything seems to be in pretty good condition with the exception of some rust on the occasional bolt.
Tim

go for the manitous, they have the purple graphic on them unless i am mistaken, which would match your other purple answer theme else the origional manitous would be fitting with the 1991 and grey may complement the bikes graphics. Getting really tarty, have you thought about getting a black atac stem instead of the silver? I think it would really complement the purple bars.
Looking good so far.

Go with the Manitous, as you have already gone for a non stock steering assembly and it will compliment the rest

Nice build
Well Done

Back