Project Kona ....

Re:

Dump that Grey, Polish it like the other guy did to that kona :p

Then it won't matter what the Shock color is :mrgreen:

Re: Re:

BentRims":15ea8ssl said:
Dump that Grey, Polish it like the other guy did to that kona :p

Then it won't matter what the Shock color is :mrgreen:
:shock: :LOL: put too much time and effort into the grey to strip it back .. it'll look ok once i cut and polish the paint :p

picked this up from trhe local model shop...

CHrTpZt.jpg

id say the colour looks pretty much spot on :D

nzu1Nmd.jpg

decided for now, to touch up the scuffs and assemble the bike to see how it rides with the forks. if im happy with the ride ill spend more time on the forks. ill probably go with the orange re paint which will tie in with the orange highlights of replacement Kona decals.

Re:

Since September 2015 the frames been hanging in the loft. I figured the paint would be suitably hardened by now :roll: :LOL: so decided to cut and polish the paint. I used Meguires 105 cutting compound applied by microfiber.. there wasnt much left in the bottle so i added a bit of tap water to make it go further :shock: :LOL:
after cutting a layer of Megures 205 polish was applied. The final layer of polish will be applied after assembly is complete

wnZun7a.jpg

Outside in the garden.. radio tuned into the Giles Peterson show, i flipped the top from a chilled Becks and cracked on. Within 5 minutes, the sweat was dripping from me :? its not often we say its too hot to work outside in the UK but the heat was making hard work of what should have been an easy job.

None metallic grey paint is very difficult to photograph

JtKvW4x.jpg

pCBorKc.jpg

U1R69Ar.jpg

I brought the frame indoors.. it was a bit cooler and the frame wasn't heating up as i polished :LOL:

XVeolBL.jpg

nEvwTSA.jpg

EklpFLr.jpg

R9y8ANS.jpg

FgT0kGl.jpg

AV6R2mc.jpg

For a rattle can paint job im quite pleased how its turned out.. long term i dont know how hard wearing the paint will be
but as can be seen earlier in this thread, i was careful with preparation and application of paint.. not as though itll be thrashed anyway :LOL: im not sure if i should apply decals now or after assembly ?

Thats a pretty nice looking finish, and i would have thought it would be easier to apply decals while its still just a frame :)

mark

Never applied decals before .. kinda bricking it :? One think that's struck me about the frame is how bloody light it is :cool: weight of the forks will **** that up :cry:
Just waiting on delivery of ahead set and spacers.
Seriously considering making this single speed or at most 1 x 7

I always take pictures and measurements of the bike and where the original decals are sitting,then measure and use masking tape to get where u need them

Bawgixer":28c01m4p said:
I always take pictures and measurements of the bike and where the original decals are sitting,then measure and use masking tape to get where u need them

As this is a... ahem "custom" build I have the later (preferable to me ) Cinder Cone decals so have nothing to compare them with. It's not so much location as wrinkle/air bubble free fitment that concerns me.
ive read through some decal fitting guides on here and im all good to go ... :shock: :? :( :facepalm:

Re:

I've decided to build the bike with the forks in their original colour. If i like the way it rides ill more than likely paint them to match the new frame decals ... either orange or black. For now, i just touched in the scratches and scuffs with a fine paint brush ..

The painted sections are pretty scratched/scuffed up .. the bottom sections are aluminum so no rust... at least thats some consultation

l41OvSw.jpg

KbZRfu2.jpg

Ie6mRQA.jpg

After washing wiped down with panel wipe to remove any grease/polish/wax

hWPygo7.jpg

Humbrol enamel paint is a decent colour match ...

NefJ3HL.jpg

Unfortunately, its a matt finish so a clear coat is required. This is from a car stone chip repair kit ...

0AhWYeR.jpg

Smaller chips are tackled with a cocktail stick. This enables intricate control of paint flow ...

d5ziAI1.jpg
A

A blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice the touch up :LOL:

ARwXWFl.jpg

Back