Proflex 757 - rear suspension - Anyone know the size?

SavagePower

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi guys, I'm thinking of replacing the rear shock on my Proflex 757 to a Fox shock but does anyone know how I can find out what size it is without having to dismantle my bike?

Yes I could just measure at the side but I'm worried about not getting accurate measurements?

Anyone know the right Fox sized rear shock?

(Same questions for my 2004 Marin East Peak - will post that in appropriate section)

(I shall be keeping a hold of the original Noleen shock)

Thanks in advance from as newbie.

you're going to have to dismantle the rear suspension to fit a new shock right? so may as well get it dismantled and measured up ;-)

What rear shock is on there now? is it the elastomers? ODS? or a Noleen shock?
Best way to measure is to get the eye-to-eye length of the shock (measure from centre of one shock mount to centre of other mount).

All I can tell you is that on my 97' 857 I used a 165mm eye-to-eye Fox Float shock, with a home-made adapter (have you already got some kind of adapter made that will allow you to use a Fox shock???).

If you haven't already done so then go over to the idriders Proflex forum, someone there may know, or you may find the info there.

http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/index.php?board=1.0

Hi man,

Yeah you're right but I'd like to have the shock and then dismantle and fit it straight away.

Currently it had OG Noleen springs, it was the later model post-elastomers, (although today I picked up a 855 and Beats both with elastomers and both need TLC so they are the next 2 projects)

Thanks for the advice on measuring them :) appreciate that. and for the heads up on the Proflex forum :) thats ace!!

Cheers

jimo746":2zuthbs3 said:
All I can tell you is that on my 97' 857 I used a 165mm eye-to-eye Fox Float shock, with a home-made adapter (have you already got some kind of adapter made that will allow you to use a Fox shock???).

google my adapter for proflex xp8 - designed to use a 165mm fox.

problem with proflex shock is that one end is a threaded rod and there are virtually no shocks of that variety apart from the original girvin and risse that will fit - the latter being avaialbe from USA at a large cost - hence why I opted for an adapter.

Thanks. So the adaptor is called the Xp8?

I will look into it, the only thing I've found so far is a thread saying you're not making them but I'll keep on hunting.

Cheers

No, the XP8 is just another model of Proflex MTB.

I'm sure the drawings for the adapter are on the Proflex idriders forum somewhere...
If/when you find them you should be able to get a engineering firm/man with lathe to make you an adapter.

The rear shock issue is the real killer with these bikes, why Proflex opted for that particular system of mounting the shock I don't know, but it just makes life awkward when you want to replace the rear shock.

sorry to hijack but would it be possible to get a copy of the plans I have a fox rear shock in my box of bits and I have a mint 856 crying out for a modern shock :D

Back