Problems with chill pills

Mod-Master

Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
Is it only me that seems to have braking problems with onza chill pills?

Thing is that the braking feels really stodgy and if I pull the lever too hard the force of the Allen bolt is way too weak to hold the brake cable in place. No matter what godly power i apply to the Allen bolt it still comes out with barely any power. Now I am using it so the cable doesn’t come out the other side with a crimp end but I have the straddle pretty low so I couldn’t do that anyway

Is there a way to get around this as it’s very annoying that there’s practically no braking power in the rear.

Cheers

Maybe it’s the use with the rear XTR M900 shorter cantilever arms. Mine are the same but only on the rear. think the Onza ChillPills..designed really around there cantilever HO brakes there a lot wider ..maybe try pulling the brake pad arms out more from the eyelets so the cantilevers are at a different angle not so close to the rims once pressing on the brakes

who knows lol 😎

Last edited:
It’s not on the front as I don’t have chill pills on the front I have a canti rocker.

I’ll just use the xtr m900 hanger as that’s a bit more stable and there’s no danger of, detachment

I run a set paired to HO cantis, seem to work fine with no issues. I do use the bike and I do pull the levers pretty firmly. I’ve not used them as hard as other brake sets I have though, I’m worried the HOs will explode under excessive pressure 😂. Pills seem good though, no slippage problems 👍.

Never had problems with mine either BITD or recent NOS ones. Unless it slips which is a dangerous failure it's down to brake set up and brake block efficiency which will reduce as the pads get older. Try a different brake inner cable if it is slipping but I've never had a problem with any grub screw hangers not just chill pills.

Hmm, interesting, guess it’s just me then. Always had better luck with the stock shimano hangers as there’s barely any slack when setup right.

Perhaps it’s because I tighten it on the end of the cable and not further up as that would mean more leeway as there would still be cable if it slipped a bit.

Trimming the cable tight close to the hanger might not leave enough cable twists to prevent it unravelling under grub screw pressure. I usually leave a little cable stub to allow for adjustment till I'm happy with the brake feel. If brake setup is good you can solder the cut end of the cable to prevent unravelling If you want zero excess cable for aesthetics. Could be a finicky cable as some seem to fray apart at the slightest encouragement. Still a bit left on this as I've not finished playing with straddle angle yet but never had trouble before.

Attachments

• IMG_20230728_164632.jpg
    IMG_20230728_164632.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 9
Back