Private renting

We have had tenants do that before because they had no credit history in the UK. Then went onto monthly no problems. The rules about access are fixed, regardless of what is put in a lease.

catf":2ss02ou5 said:
out of interest, to the ppl here who have been or are landlords, a couple of ppl mentioned getting the rent paid as a particular concern. i was wondering if someone offered to pay 6 months rent upfront, so the minimum on a short term tenancy agreement but on a long term lease, would that make you happier or more suspicious?

like say if they said "here is an envelope full of cash and my ID, but dont bother credit checking me and i dont want to see you again for 6 months, when you can come back for the next 6 months cash." how would you feel about that?

im asking because that is what i want to offer a potential landlord and i dont really know how it would seem objectively. would you just assume the worst? crack den in the making? my credit history is trashed but i can raise the cash, and ive had bad experiences renting from busybody landlords in teh past, 'implied notice of access' is a popular refrain, so i just wanna avoid all the crap and get things sorted up front.

As a landlord, I would run a mile if somebody offered me such terms. I accept your comments though and the reasoning. Normally people offering such terms are upto no good, hookers, drug dealers, crims etc however, not all...ok, before somebody accuses me of being anti the above. It's just well known in the industry. Plenty of landlords will take such deals knowing the risks though but I play by laws of the land. If the Police smash the place up at 5am to bust a drug den dont expect the deposit to cover all the damage ! Also check the small print of your insurance policy as many policies have sneaky caveats and exclusions as well as detailed conditions for the cover to be valid in part or in full.

Just to clarify, we still vet them as normal. It is the part where their financial information is lacking that the full term advance helps out. One vetting service we used required tenants to work locally.. insane!

catf":29yof052 said:
out of interest, to the ppl here who have been or are landlords, a couple of ppl mentioned getting the rent paid as a particular concern. i was wondering if someone offered to pay 6 months rent upfront, so the minimum on a short term tenancy agreement but on a long term lease, would that make you happier or more suspicious?

like say if they said "here is an envelope full of cash and my ID, but dont bother credit checking me and i dont want to see you again for 6 months, when you can come back for the next 6 months cash." how would you feel about that?

im asking because that is what i want to offer a potential landlord and i dont really know how it would seem objectively. would you just assume the worst? crack den in the making? my credit history is trashed but i can raise the cash, and ive had bad experiences renting from busybody landlords in teh past, 'implied notice of access' is a popular refrain, so i just wanna avoid all the crap and get things sorted up front.

It would look suspicious and the lack of or bad credit history would probably invalid a landlord's rent protection insurance (if they have any). Also, if it's a decent house in a nice area landlords can afford to be choosy and rent to someone who isn't in those circumstances. Payment in advance is fairly common but not on a condition that no credit / security checks are undertaken.

well i live in a nice area and i certainly cant afford a decent house round here, so its gonna be a scrotty flat anyway. cant go through an agency cos they credit check by default, so im imagining it will be a dodgy slum landlord, not a nice home that someone is renting while they go and work abroad. hey im a decent chap and i dont cause a fuss, i just kind of hoped a big pile of cash would smooth over the awkward questions with most ppl. doesnt sound like it.

incidentally i did have a mate who rented just such a thing, he was minting it doing IT in the city, never been in debt, dream tenant on paper. it was all furnished and decorated like you could host a rotary club meeting there. didnt stop him trashing the place... i remember a weekend before the days of wifi going round with a hammer and chisel bashing holes in all the walls to route network cabling. he was not a structural engineer, so who knows which ones were load bearing. the week he left was spent with a bucket of polyfiller and a spatula.

tell me that doesnt put you off being a landlord lol

catf":3v58u9r6 said:
well i live in a nice area and i certainly cant afford a decent house round here, so its gonna be a scrotty flat anyway. cant go through an agency cos they credit check by default, so im imagining it will be a dodgy slum landlord, not a nice home that someone is renting while they go and work abroad. hey im a decent chap and i dont cause a fuss, i just kind of hoped a big pile of cash would smooth over the awkward questions with most ppl. doesnt sound like it.

incidentally i did have a mate who rented just such a thing, he was minting it doing IT in the city, never been in debt, dream tenant on paper. it was all furnished and decorated like you could host a rotary club meeting there. didnt stop him trashing the place... i remember a weekend before the days of wifi going round with a hammer and chisel bashing holes in all the walls to route network cabling. he was not a structural engineer, so who knows which ones were load bearing. the week he left was spent with a bucket of polyfiller and a spatula.

tell me that doesnt put you off being a landlord lol
Are you an immigrant nhs worker. I know a guy who will put you up ;)
Seriously though. It sounds like you are in an awkward situation. It's a real shame when a credit history holds us back in life.
Good luck finding a place.

Re:

What LDP said.

You are better to be upfront with an agency and see how flexible they will be. At the end of the day they run the checks and can consider you on the basis of your references. We all have credit problems at some point, it is not at all unusual. Don't let that force you into unsuitable accommodation.

If you do hand over a prepayment, ensure it is held in a client account. There are enough dodgy agents and landlords who will spend it and then demand more...and you have little recourse.

Latest posts

Back