Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Re: Re:

It's worth remembering that around 62% of the cost of fuel is tax so high milage drivers pay alot more tax even if their VED is cheap because of the type of car they drive.

Chopper1192":1dmaz6e1 said:
That's interesting. My fuel is legal and completely tax free. No VAT on most food, see.
Normally a supermarket checkout receipt will show the amount of VAT you've paid on groceries.

For your average motorist, they'll likely be paying some aspect of tax at purchase time, tax when they insure it, tax for the, um, tax disc, tax and then VAT slapped on top (that's right, tax on top of a tax...) when they buy fuel for it, and VAT when they pay to have it maintained.

So when politicos rap on about them being all about low personal taxation, and point towards tax allowances, tax credits, and improvements at the lower wage points, well really they're about as adept as Paul Daniels and the lovely Debbie McGee in the art of misdirection.

Taxation, these days: never mind the quality, feel the width...

Just checked my most recent Costco receipt, still lurking in the depths of my wallet. No VAT on vegetable oil, in this case 3 x 20L cubies of KTC oil at £14.49 each (72.4p/l).

Chopper1192":3j6cyfmx said:
Just checked my most recent Costco receipt, still lurking in the depths of my wallet. No VAT on vegetable oil, in this case 3 x 20L cubies of KTC oil at £14.49 each (72.4p/l).
Even the veg oil thing, though, was subject to a limited exemption.

Which was no doubt purely pragmatic cost effectiveness on hmrc's part. Initially people were theoretically still liable for duty on it, if used for normal road-going fodder. Now it's based on a fair-use limit, isn't it, above which motorists are liable to pay duty on it's use?

And even now, you'd need to be either treating it, or using it on something with an accommodating fuel pump.

Indeed, and in terms of road fuel taxation there's a rolling 12 month 2500L threshold. Fortunately, being a cyclist I don't do t ha many miles and only sup around 1000 litres annually, and keep receipts and records to prove it.

It Work for everyone, but if you have a predilection for rattling around in old 4x4s then its right up your street - it'd cos me more to run a 1 litre Micra than it does my 2 tonne truck.

Re:

It is laughably easy to bypass any restriction on veg oil; it really is tax free to all extents and purposes. More regular filter changes and for the colder climes a heater makes sense, but over the years it truly pays off. Of course red diesel is legally usable in many cases too, and heating oil can be vehicle friendly with ease.

Lots of ways round most laws really. Just a case of know how.

Back