Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014

Re:

Tax on fuel is what i vote for now but when I get my 15 mpg v8 land rover on the road and it iz old to be tax exempt, i will vote for something else.

Re:

As a non-driver, my only personal modes of transport are the bike or Shanks's Pony. It seems some of the rules about tax on my "fuel" can be quite idiosyncratic:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... P284_14485

The age-old Jaffa Cakes issue is quite well known, but....chocolate-coated shortbread incurs tax whilst "Millionaires' Shortbread"* is VAT exempt - who'd have thought it? It's quite interesting reading - dried fruit also has a peculiar dividing line on VAT.

David

*Surely you can't become a millionaire solely by not having to pay tax on a Greggs purchase? Still, Gary Barlow and Chris Moyles might like to give it a (Viennese) whirl regardless. I'm sure Moyles wouldn't need much persuading to set foot in a cake shop.

Chopper1192":1bp7qwb1 said:
Dammit man. I'm agreeing with you again!

:shock: surely not !

How about a 'red' petrol like they do with diesel , just for people with strimmers etc , that ok HF ?
Not heard of veg oil being used in any great quantity as a fuel . Is it becoming widespread now ?
I am in my own little world after all

<<<<

Mike

As a private pump paying motorist who drives 350ish a week I suppose it would hit me if it was on fuel but fairer than current method. My old series2swb paid no vel, chucked out god knows what and did 18 to the gallon. Go figure as they say.

Chopper1192":1p7l0rx3 said:
Stick it all on pump fuel and charge it at a tenner a litre.

I'm alright Jack.
At this point, the strategy is a complete success. It starts small, prevails, then people buy into the notion as a fait accomplis.

Then start arguing the seeded arguments.

All this is of such an issue, because they need the revenue. The activity is purely plausible deniability.

Some time back, politicos realised that people didn't want high levels of direct taxation, so they devised means by which to hide it in plain sight - and / or be one of the political parties that liked to claim to be about low taxation.

Do it for long enough, and the public, all Stockholm-syndromed-up would start making their arguments for them.

Take away all the dogma and tradition, then ponder this - across the piece, what is the most equitable means of raising taxation from the public? And bearing in mind, all the supposed rationales for why some things / activities are heavily / punitively taxed is nothing to do with the impact of the activity, and all to do with being able to generate as much revenue from it in a sustainable and attainable manner.

I would like to see the money being put into public transport, along with an opt in cycling tax going into making roads a safer environment for cycling.

There should be a toll on road use as well, especially for all the rural routes in places like the Highlands.

They are being destroyed by timber lorries and all the trucks carrying aggregate to wind turbine sites, as well as Euro-tourist buses full of people who carry all their provisions with them and put nothing into the local economy.

While we are at it, let's have an opt in tax to preserve the NHS and historic buildings.

Neil said:
At this point, the strategy is a complete success. It starts small, prevails, then people buy into the notion as a fait accomplis.

Then start arguing the seeded arguments.

All this is of such an issue, because they need the revenue. The activity is purely plausible deniability.

Some time back, politicos realised that people didn't want high levels of direct taxation, so they devised means by which to hide it in plain sight - and / or be one of the political parties that liked to claim to be about low taxation.

Do it for long enough, and the public, all Stockholm-syndromed-up would start making their arguments for them.

Take away all the dogma and tradition, then ponder this - across the piece, what is the most equitable means of raising taxation from the public? And bearing in mind, all the supposed rationales for why some things / activities are heavily / punitively taxed is nothing to do with the impact of the activity, and all to do with being able to generate as much revenue from it in a sustainable and attainable manner.
Er, is it too late to point out that I was, quite obviously I hope, being cheeky.

Chopper1192":vzizmm7i said:
Er, is it too late to point out that I was, quite obviously I hope, being cheeky.
It's never too late...

But I got you were being tongue-in-Vorder's-cheek, I was just really commenting on where the debate goes, indoctrination, then making their argument for them.

It's nearly always opportunism that then becomes played as essential, but in most cases was like what Bernie liked - people trying to "smoke it past the wrong guy..."

highlandsflyer":27qypk11 said:
I would like to see the money being put into public transport, along with an opt in cycling tax going into making roads a safer environment for cycling.

Non-compulsory taxation for cyclists? That'd probably make us just as vilified by certain sections of the media as the current zero-VED situation (I can see the "why should they pick and choose their tax arrangements?" piffle being spouted by Littlejohn & co. already).

David

Back