Pretend I'm really rich....

Re:

:LOL: :LOL:

I don't know what it is, honestly lads! It's alloy, no stickers, no gussets, V brake only, and proper SS back end. Polished. Can't be an early Azonic, DMR, etc, as they all had gussets.... :?

Will get pics up once it's here, probably Thursday. Trying to get a seat post size out of the seller, he's sent it already so he may not know.

Diamondback or Marin springs to mind other than Special but i guess that's what your next thread will be all about once it's arrived but you won't be that bothered as long as it ticks all the right boxes eh! ;) ..

Good luck with it, Kaz.

Personally I've gone back to v-brakes and rigid forks (although they are titanium). They are good enough for the riding I do, but far less hassle. Only slightly more hardcore than you - the bike managed a descent albeit slow of Snowdon OK. For me, I realised that I didn't really like the feel or weight of any suspension fork I tried up to a couple of hundred quid or so (and there was no way I was going to spend more). Similarly in most situations, v-brakes were good enough, quieter and less hassle.

Re:

Interesting greencat.

Would say disc brakes are one of those fit and forget parts.

Share your sentiment otherwise though

Re: Re:

coomber":q03iedxj said:
Would say disc brakes are one of those fit and forget parts.
Unfortunately, the very cheapest mechanicals can be pretty hit and miss. Much like low end suspension forks, heavy, flexy, poorly damped and sprung. Better off with rigid.

Re:

Yeah but by not going to the pub a couple of times thatll be enough to buy decent hydraulic brakes, s/h or new.

The only reason for not fitting hydraulic is if you dont want to spend extra on shjfters if you have sti.

Hydraulic disc brakes are the best thing thats happened to mtbs ever.

02gf74":1wsq1ikq said:
Yeah but by not going to the pub a couple of times thatll be enough to buy decent hydraulic brakes, s/h or new.

The only reason for not fitting hydraulic is if you dont want to spend extra on shjfters if you have sti.

Completely agree, I've owned two pairs of deore disc brakes, both cost about £60 and not had to adjust them or do anything.

02gf74":1q9pc4w0 said:

I was a sceptic too, but these days I totally agree with the above comment. Rim brakes are utterly useless off road, in wet or muddy conditions. There, I've said it!

02gf74":7l80yufb said:
And some people like going to the pub.

We have moderately expensive mechanicals on the wifes CX bike (couldn't get hydraulic STis at the time) what a pain.
They need looking at every 2 or 3 races. The hydraulics on everything else need looking at yearly pretty much.

At some point, once she starts racing again, i'll be looking for a hydraulic option and putting the mechanicals somewhere else. Probably eBay.

Yeah, I know I'm in a tiny minority re: hydraulic disc brakes and maybe I'm just an old dog that cannot learn new tricks. I like the power of hydraulic disc brakes (especially in the wet) - but find them fiddly, noisy and temperamental - whether I or my LBS sets them up. I've got a mix of Deore and Deore XT so unlikely to be the quality of the brake.

Conversely, the only time I felt let down by v-brakes was cycling down a boggy bit of Telegraph pass before it connects to the Snowdon Ranger path. It was pouring down with rain, the wheel was in 2 inches of water and I was getting almost no braking. Turned out I'd nearly worn the pads through. That's a scenario which happens so infrequently I'd get off and walk if it happened again.

Sorry don't wish to hijack your thread, Kaz.

Back