Pre 1999?

Back in the day pretty much all of my peers started out with a Trigger's Broom bike then changed kit if/when we could afford it. The frame looks to have a decent modern geometry which is IME far more important than anything else for somebody starting out. OK, I don't go a bundle on that sort of gear levers but I'd not have been ashamed to ride that on club runs in my younger days.

Back in the day pretty much all of my peers started out with a Trigger's Broom bike then changed kit if/when we could afford it. The frame looks to have a decent modern geometry which is IME far more important than anything else for somebody starting out. OK, I don't go a bundle on that sort of gear levers but I'd not have been ashamed to ride that on club runs in my younger days.
Well said 👍 I'm still riding Triggers broom bikes.

..we all start somewhere. And I have had fairly squirmy moments on return to mountain biking after years of climbing and tiny children…

In 2016 I turned up at a mountain bike meet on a C16R - nothing wrong with that, but all the others people were on 65 head angle long low and slack Commencals, Mondrakers etc. They didn’t ridicule me but I was in way over my head on the types of trials we rode…

I drove back home with my tail between my legs and started building. Cotics. Stantons.

A C16R

1694593221183.jpeg

Not a C16R

1629672311906.png

Last edited:
Thats a good looking bike. I've been playing with various versions of butterfly shifters from vintage Suntour Command to modern friction Diacompe and I've enjoyed using them (although mine are mounted along the brake levers). I haven't used that version, but I've seen them on a fair number of entry level bikes and I feel they are a better solution for a new cyclist than downtube shifters. I imagine the saddle may not be to everyones taste and if there was any updgrade to be made it would be to the saddle (and possibly tires when they start to wear).

Happy pedalling.
Sorry for the diversion folks
What did you make of the Dia-Compe versions , they're a pricey punt but I've always been intrigued . Dia Compe don't normally make silly stuff and I know that these were driven by Mr Dia-Compe {or whatever he's called} .

Sorry for the diversion folks
What did you make of the Dia-Compe versions , they're a pricey punt but I've always been intrigued . Dia Compe don't normally make silly stuff and I know that these were driven by Mr Dia-Compe {or whatever he's called} .
I like them. I have them mounted on my Ellis Briggs which is running a combination of second generation Suntour Cyclone up front and Shimano 500 long cage in the back with a vintage 6 speed freewheel and velo orange drillium chain set. they are paired with first generation Dura Ace brake levers.

They have that nice smooth microratcheting that Rivendell got developed for their silver shifters and they are longer than command shifters which gives more leverage. The one downside is they are relatively wide and sometimes I knock my thumb on them when I wrap it back around the brake lever. The Suntour command shifters look nice, but the Diacompe definitely work better in friction mode. They are my second favorite friction set up. My first are gevenalle brake levers with 9 speed dura ace bar ends in friction mode. So smooth with a HG cassette and chain.

I like them. I have them mounted on my Ellis Briggs which is running a combination of second generation Suntour Cyclone up front and Shimano 500 long cage in the back with a vintage 6 speed freewheel and velo orange drillium chain set. they are paired with first generation Dura Ace brake levers.

They have that nice smooth microratcheting that Rivendell got developed for their silver shifters and they are longer than command shifters which gives more leverage. The one downside is they are relatively wide and sometimes I knock my thumb on them when I wrap it back around the brake lever. The Suntour command shifters look nice, but the Diacompe definitely work better in friction mode. They are my second favorite friction set up. My first are gevenalle brake levers with 9 speed dura ace bar ends in friction mode. So smooth with a HG cassette and chain.
Many thanks . I use the Rivendell levers , they're great . I was curious if they got in the way .

Many thanks . I use the Rivendell levers , they're great . I was curious if they got in the way .
They can a bit, but it also may be partly me getting used to riding with them. I have multiple shifting systems on my different bikes (STI, Gevenalle, DoubleTap, bar ends, Command / butterfly shifters) and it takes a bit to get used to each one when I start riding.

They can a bit, but it also may be partly me getting used to riding with them. I have multiple shifting systems on my different bikes (STI, Gevenalle, DoubleTap, bar ends, Command / butterfly shifters) and it takes a bit to get used to each one when I start riding.
Yep ! Know that feeling .

<reads thread>

well....!

I had a Bobbin Scout for woofling around as anonymously as possible and its was reasonable, £349 from Wiggle in 2014 after a bonus in a new job

1694624859676.png

It was much better equipped than the Viking and better value

With your bicycle, I'd start with the wheels before anything else. The cheap tires can crack and perish quite quickly but worse still is the hubs. Cheap freewheel hubs can end up popping their rear axles leaving you unable to do up the wheel or a weird feeling when riding. If the hubs are steel, they can also cut through the spokes.

Have a look at Sunrace or Microshift for replacement derailleurs and shifters as they are good value

Other than that, its an ok bicycle, but...!

<reads thread>

well....!

I had a Bobbin Scout for woofling around as anonymously as possible and its was reasonable, £349 from Wiggle in 2014 after a bonus in a new job

View attachment 778149

It was much better equipped than the Viking and better value

With your bicycle, I'd start with the wheels before anything else. The cheap tires can crack and perish quite quickly but worse still is the hubs. Cheap freewheel hubs can end up popping their rear axles leaving you unable to do up the wheel or a weird feeling when riding. If the hubs are steel, they can also cut through the spokes.

Have a look at Sunrace or Microshift for replacement derailleurs and shifters as they are good value

Other than that, its an ok bicycle, but...!
Agreed, wheels and tyres are the best first upgrade, I like the Microshift shifters. OP did only pay £90 for what amounts to a new bike with no wear.

Latest posts

Back