PowerTap / G Computer / LeMond Revolution Upgrade assistance

rjsdavis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello to all

I'm just going through the process of upgrading some of my training kit, so that I can have a much better Winter's training and really attempt to form some semblance of form for next Summer! Last Winter I ended up next to feck all as the weather was so pissing terrible.

At the moment, I'm riding my vintage road steel, and only have a Polar CS600X computer with HR and GPS to track my rides and progress - this is fine, as I also have a Polar watch and no matter what non-cycling exercise I'm doing, I can upload of my exercise data into the Polar software from computer and watch - this has worked ok until now.

I've just laid my hands on a LeMond Revolution turbo trainer. I bought it, as although it's fairly loud, it is generally regarded as one of the most lifelike trainers out there. My plan is to upgrade this with the Wattbox, as I want to take my training a little more seriously and make the plans / performance much more scientific and progressive.

This has landed me with quandry No. 1, as none of my existing Polar kit is ANT+ compatible. Therefore, will need to upgrade the computer to Garmin or similar to get any sort of data out of the Wattbox. My plan at the moment is get a Garmin 810 and make this my new main multi-bike computer and sell the Polar computer - Q1 - is there a better alternative/solution to this? I ask, as I'll still be using my Polar watch for non-cycling exercise, and ideally wanted to store/analyse all data in the one place!

Q2 - does anyone have a good tablet stand / holder that I can mount on the front of the bike somewhere and grip a tablet? I've seen that Tacx do one for 30 notes or so, but that seems expensive for a basic tablet holder! I've downloaded some of the Sufferfest videos, so am planning to give them a whirl whilst using the LeMond as I'll need the distraction whilst turbo'ing indoors...

I've also just landed myself a used pair of PowerTap hubs from a friend, that I've just laced up into a set of wheels - they're mostly ready to go, but I need to pop them down to Harry R to check that they're built and tensioned properly. They are PowerTap Comp hubs. This seems to be the second reason why I need a new Garmin unit, as I don't want to faff around with different computers for different reasons when using different kit - I am expecting that a new Garmin 810 will be fully compatible with both the LeMond Wattbox and the PowerTaps, and that all I'll need is two different bike profiles depending on which way I'm training on a particular day?

I.e. Garmin Profile 1 - LeMond Revolution paired up to the Wattbox (am aware that the Garmin combined speed/cadence unit isn't compatible when using the Wattbox (as the Wattbox sends speed data already) and that I'll need a separate ANT+ cadence only sensor) to get all of the data displayed on the Garmin

Garmin Profile 2 - PowerTap wheels paired up with the Garmin - this is where the combined speed/cadence Garmin sensor can be used fine, and just take power data from the PowerTaps themselves to get all of the data.

Garmin Profile 3/4 - Normal wheelset - with no power data at all, and just speed/cadence data from the Garmin sensor. I am assuming that this could be either of my steel roadies, and that all I'll need is a handlebar mount and combined speed/cadence sensor on each road bike and off I go?! (3/4 is for 2x road bikes)

Garmin Profile 5/6 - 2x MTB's! Again, am assuming that I'll need a handlebar mount and a speed/cadence sensor for each MTB?!

Therefore, Q3 - is my logic on all of this spot on and does anyone know if the Garmin can handle all of this?

And finally, it's somewhat heartbreaking to have to move computers at all, and I'm very reluctant to - I can remember the many times when my old Avocet 40 from bitd's battery would run out, and if it caught you out completely and died, all of that precious odometer and av speed data would be lost forever :facepalm: , and all clocks would be reset to zero! It's like a bit of a kick in the nuts to start over from zero!!

Therefore, I want this to be my final computer change - BUT, Q4: is there a way of transferring data over from either my existing Polar computer, or from the data that's been uploaded into the Polar software on my PC, or some other method using the new Garmin so that I can pre-populate the new Garmin and avoid starting all clocks from zero? I've never used Garmin kit before, so don't know what can/can't be done with them... just trying to avoid having the psychological blow of starting "over"!!

Many thanks for any responses - much appreciated.

hi there.dunno! i still got my hrm and a book advanced turbo training. what does that lemond trainer you have use for resistance ?
i reckon it would be fun to have a go on something,some kind of virtual route where the resistance
is accurate to the terrain.i think tacx do something. i know sony do a playstation game so someone must have
done a virtual ride with the stars of the peleton ?
and this is nuts,,,an oxygen mask to mimic amount of air quality7 am countryside or a reduction
in the case of alpine stages :shock:

hi again, i just wondered if you are training for or have ambitions for specific events next year?

Nothing other than wishing to be four stone lighter and one of the strongest riders in the training peloton that I train with during the Summer months. From there, if I achieve that, I'll think about getting a racing license again and see what happens... Am a long way from the 1st cat I used to have bitd!

yeah it might take a while for me to get back to 12 stone so im not going to be too hard on m self. maybe
4 stone over 2 years is cool and i find training with guys in a higher league a bit demoralizing. always people faster and slower than us but we are still all Cyclist's.

rjsdavis":1jr24p0j said:
Garmin Profile 1 - LeMond Revolution paired up to the Wattbox (am aware that the Garmin combined speed/cadence unit isn't compatible when using the Wattbox (as the Wattbox sends speed data already) and that I'll need a separate ANT+ cadence only sensor) to get all of the data displayed on the Garmin

Garmin Profile 2 - PowerTap wheels paired up with the Garmin - this is where the combined speed/cadence Garmin sensor can be used fine, and just take power data from the PowerTaps themselves to get all of the data.

Garmin Profile 3/4 - Normal wheelset - with no power data at all, and just speed/cadence data from the Garmin sensor. I am assuming that this could be either of my steel roadies, and that all I'll need is a handlebar mount and combined speed/cadence sensor on each road bike and off I go?! (3/4 is for 2x road bikes)

Garmin Profile 5/6 - 2x MTB's! Again, am assuming that I'll need a handlebar mount and a speed/cadence sensor for each MTB?!

Therefore, Q3 - is my logic on all of this spot on and does anyone know if the Garmin can handle all of this?

I've been thinking about these profiles some more, over the weekend, and it occurs to me that I might not need a Garmin GSC10 speed/cadence sensor for all four bikes? I am basing this on the fact that doesn't the Edge 810 take its speed information from GPS rather than the speed sensor in any case, and that the speed sensor data would only be used if you were in a tunnel?

Therefore:

Garmin Profile 1 - LeMond Revolution paired up to the Wattbox (am aware that the Garmin combined speed/cadence unit isn't compatible when using the Wattbox (as the Wattbox sends speed data already) and that I'll need a separate ANT+ cadence only sensor) to get all of the data displayed on the Garmin. Therefore, I'll need the Wattbox, the Edge 810 computer and something like a Bontrager cadence only ANT+ sensor? This will all be using road BIKE 1.

Garmin Profile 2 - PowerTap wheels paired up with the Garmin - this is where the combined speed/cadence Garmin sensor could be used fine, and just take power data from the PowerTaps themselves to get all of this data in the one place. I've just bought a PowerTap G3C rear hub, so these wheels will be ready soon. These wheels will be used outdoors on BIKE 1 (same as Profile 1), but had thought that I would need to set this up as Bike Profile 2 (as the power data source is different from Profile 1) - but that all that would be needed is the power data from the hubs and the same cadence sensor as used in Profile 1 (above) - no speed sensor would be needed in this set-up as the GPS would provide it?

Therefore, all I'd need to do is unhook BIKE 1 from the Revolution in Profile 1, stick in the PowerTap wheels to train outdoors and continue using the Bontrager cadence sensor for both profiles - is this correct?

Garmin Profile 3/4 - Normal wheelsets - with no power data being supplied at all (Profile 3 would still be BIKE 1 (just no power data this time - running normal wheels) and BIKE 2, a separate road bike (BIKE 2) I'm going to use far less often than my training road bike (BIKE 1), and just speed/cadence/HR data being collected to the Garmin sensor. I am assuming that this could be either of my steel roadies, and that all I will need is a handlebar mount and the same Bontrager cadence sensor as used in Profiles 1 & 2, for Profile 3 (still BIKE 1), and a second Bontrager cadence sensor on BIKE 2, with a mount for BIKE 2 so that I just pop the Gamin onto BIKE 2, and I'm away?

Garmin Profile 5/6 - 2x separate MTB's! Again, am assuming that I'll need a handlebar mount and a third and fourth Bontrager cadence sensor for each of these MTB's?!

Therefore, for all of these profiles:

1x Garmin computer
1x LeMond Revolution Trainer & Wattbox
4x Bontrager cadence sensors (1 per bike)
1x PowerTap wheels
6x Garmin computer profiles as set out above?

I ask, as I had initially thought that I'd need to get a Garmin GSC10 speed & Cadence sensor per bike? I not so sure I do anymore...

Many thanks for the input of any Garmin users out there.

great im glad to have been of assistance and best wishes on your weight loss/v02 max and boosting
your anaerobic threshold. 'adv' turbo training guide these are quite short work outs but when you are finished you
are no good to 'man nor beast' so they must do something.
there is a guy who keeps burning me off he overtakes me then turns around and heads back past me...he wont one day :)
as for my own scientific approach periodizing will start in about a year from now
in the mean time my best fat burning zone is light sweat and hills which i love to attack.these give me enough anaerobic stuff

good weather then 100m has got to be the best for fat burning.
im diabetic 2 now so got to be carefull & eat more than i used to.

do please keep updating cause im interested how quickly you lose that 4 stone.

I've been thinking about these profiles some more, over the weekend, and it occurs to me that I might not need a Garmin GSC10 speed/cadence sensor for all four bikes? I am basing this on the fact that doesn't the Edge 810 take its speed information from GPS rather than the speed sensor in any case, and that the speed sensor data would only be used if you were in a tunnel?

Therefore:

Garmin Profile 1 - LeMond Revolution paired up to the Wattbox (am aware that the Garmin combined speed/cadence unit isn't compatible when using the Wattbox (as the Wattbox sends speed data already) and that I'll need a separate ANT+ cadence only sensor) to get all of the data displayed on the Garmin. Therefore, I'll need the Wattbox, the Edge 810 computer and something like a Bontrager cadence only ANT+ sensor? This will all be using road BIKE 1.

Garmin Profile 2 - PowerTap wheels paired up with the Garmin - this is where the combined speed/cadence Garmin sensor could be used fine, and just take power data from the PowerTaps themselves to get all of this data in the one place. I've just bought a PowerTap G3C rear hub, so these wheels will be ready soon. These wheels will be used outdoors on BIKE 1 (same as Profile 1), but had thought that I would need to set this up as Bike Profile 2 (as the power data source is different from Profile 1) - but that all that would be needed is the power data from the hubs and the same cadence sensor as used in Profile 1 (above) - no speed sensor would be needed in this set-up as the GPS would provide it?

Therefore, all I'd need to do is unhook BIKE 1 from the Revolution in Profile 1, stick in the PowerTap wheels to train outdoors and continue using the Bontrager cadence sensor for both profiles - is this correct?

Garmin Profile 3/4 - Normal wheelsets - with no power data being supplied at all (Profile 3 would still be BIKE 1 (just no power data this time - running normal wheels) and BIKE 2, a separate road bike (BIKE 2) I'm going to use far less often than my training road bike (BIKE 1), and just speed/cadence/HR data being collected to the Garmin sensor. I am assuming that this could be either of my steel roadies, and that all I will need is a handlebar mount and the same Bontrager cadence sensor as used in Profiles 1 & 2, for Profile 3 (still BIKE 1), and a second Bontrager cadence sensor on BIKE 2, with a mount for BIKE 2 so that I just pop the Gamin onto BIKE 2, and I'm away?

Garmin Profile 5/6 - 2x separate MTB's! Again, am assuming that I'll need a handlebar mount and a third and fourth Bontrager cadence sensor for each of these MTB's?!

Therefore, for all of these profiles:

1x Garmin computer
1x LeMond Revolution Trainer & Wattbox
4x Bontrager cadence sensors (1 per bike)
1x PowerTap wheels
6x Garmin computer profiles as set out above?

I ask, as I had initially thought that I'd need to get a Garmin GSC10 speed & Cadence sensor per bike? I not so sure I do anymore...

Many thanks for the input of any Garmin users out there.

Back